My Lp Build

SMellmo

hi everyone!

I've started this build around last april or may. I figured it was about time i show it here!

I really work on it in my freetime and when i feel like it so i'm quite a slow builder...! heh

The main reason for this is a couple of years ago i started another LP but i ended rushing it because my girlfriend and i were moving in together and buying a house ... you know... this kind of stuff.... so i rushed it too much and made too wayyy many mistakes. This build was a good experience on what not to do . So anyway fast forward 3 years, here's the new LP:

PICT0406.jpg

The carve is not completed. It is actually roughly shaped. I used the Saf-T planner to do the "steps" then i took my orbital sander to smoothen the steps. I will drill the TOM holes then i will complete the carve and don't worry! the flat spot in the middle of the body will go away!

Here's the specs:

standard LP shape with a AANJ (i was inspired by Marcovis' LP build)

Mahogany body with lightly flamed maple top

Mahogany neck, Gibson 24 3/4" scale

unbound headstock with the usual gibson headstock

Macassar ebony fingerboard with traditional trapeze inlay

Nickel hardware

Cream bindings on body and neck

still undecided about the headstock inlay

Finish will probably be Honey burst or something similar

More pics available at:

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk285/brunz0/

This was my first inlay experience. It was actually easier than i thought. I took my time and i'm quite pleased of the result.

feel free to comment

Thanks !

Charles.

sweet man :D . i looked at the pics. nice fretboard. Did you do the bindings yourself, plastic, wood? i noticed the bindings not slotted? cause on my guitar it looks like they slotted the binding.

it wiil be nice to see how this turns out

I bought the bindings from stewmac. They are plastic cream bindings. I have slotted the fingerboard then i glued the bindings. i will remove the fret tangs on the edge before installing them.

What kind of wood is that dog shaped piece...

That's my dobe girl! She's always willing to spend time with me in the garage when i'm working my guitar or other project.

Great looking build so far !!

That fretboard is looking really clean.

I could see you had to repair a tear-off in the body. Exactly the same happened to me in exactly the same place... But your repair work is very clean, it should be virtually invisible.

Keep it coming, I will be following this build. I am working on something quite similar myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Always intrested when someone builds Les paul. Cause there are so many ways to do it. Just one question. When did you route neck pocket, before or after carving the top ?

I routed the top to the neck angle i calculated. Then, I routed the neck pocket. I carved the top after. I thought it would be easier to route the neck pocket with the template laying flat on top of the body. But like you said there are many ways of doing it!!

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since i posted updates on the project. Well here it is!

PICT0419.jpg

PICT0418.jpg

about half of the neck was fretted using the 5$ fret press found on this forum. It worked really well.

The other half was done it the good ol' rubber hammer. Fretting ended up being easier than expected.

I don't know if i will leave the headstock blank or if i will add some inlay. I thought my initials ( CL )might look good

Any Suggestions?