Ash Prs W/ P-90s

While the Avenger prototypeand Bloodwood LPjr are nearing either completion or waiting for the finish to cure, I'm starting another one. Yea... it's just another PRS. Try not to get too excited. :D

Anyway, here's the rundown:

Ash body - 1.5" thick

Westone neck - 25.5 scale

Khaler trem

2 P-90 pups - maker undetermined, but NOT atrec/GFS

3-position toggle

1 volume, 1 tone

MAYBE a push/pull for a phase switch

chrome hardware

The input jack undetermined, but leaning towards a Strat. Thebody may not be thick enough to support it, though, so I may need to go with a side-mount. Likewise, it may be too thin for a push/pull, so a mini-toggle would be in order.

I wanted it thin and lightweight. I figured 1.5" was about as thin as I could get away with. I ordered some water soluable dyes last week. I'm going to dye the body either green or orange. I'll top it off with lacquer.

Here's the first WIP pics. The body has been shaped and given a 0.5" roundover. Later, it'll get a forearm contour and belly cut. I was an inch from making it a HSS setup, top-routing it, and making a P/G for it. It'd have ended up a Strat/PRS hybrid. In the end I decided against it. Still, the body has a all of the Strat personality, but with a PRS shape. Add in the Gibson-style P-90s, and it's a little bit of all three.

wip01.jpg

wip02.jpg

The Kahler Flyer was paid for Monday. Today, I found a pair of black Gibson P-90s. They're paid for and on their way as well. I decided to go with a mini-toggle for the phase switch. I'm debating about a flat-mount jack or an electrosocket.

BTW: The Kahler didn't have the locking nut or arm with it. Where would be the best place to get parts? The Kahler website didn't have an ordering system or price list.

This got some work this weekend, as did the Retrotron.

The Westone neck I'm using had some screw-in bushings. Clearly, they had to go. I just KNOW that I wouldn't place the ferrules in the exact same place as these bushings, so it's just easier in the long run to drill them out and plug the holes. Since that'd juse be boring, here's the WIP series on the process.

bushings

holes drilled, plugs cut

plugs glued into place

plugs sawn off & sanded flat

I also got the neck pocket & pup holes routed. The Kahler is just sitting on the body right now.

wip07.jpg

wip08.jpg

Nice new build - just a tip - think about tinted lacquer instead of staining ash. Ash is a beast to get to stain right, I've tried twice and both times ended up ditching the idea because it was too patchy. If you're set up to spray lacquer you should be good to tint and spray.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not set up to spray. :D

Pine is notoriously patchy as well. Flexner advises using a conditioner for woods that get patchy. IIRC, they're washcoats, but the only difference is the name. I'll give this product a shot on some cutoff. Better yet - I can try it on a Retrotron body. The whole thing is getting covered anyway.

why'd you get rid of the inserts in the neck? from my experience, inserts are superb for bolt on's, because you can torque the hell out of the bolts, without having to worry about stripping them...

Cuz I KNOW I'd never line up holes in the neck pocket perfect. I'm keeping them, so I'll still be able to use them in another build sometime.

Remember to check the bridge to neck position. Those Kahlers like the neck pretty tall, if not you will have to shim or give the neck pocket some angle

Thanks for the heads-up. FWIW - it's a Kahler Flyer. IDK if that makes a difference in your statement, but there it is.

Edited by avengers63

I spent some quality time with this body and my angle grinder.

wip10.jpg

wip11.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...20P90/wip12.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...20P90/wip13.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...20P90/wip14.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...20P90/wip15.jpg

The intent was to get the sides as round as possible and to have a massive sloping on almost the whole thing. See that hole where you might expect the jack to be? That part has issues. It was supposed to be a hole for an electrosocket. I'm still working on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Since the dyes I ordered in at the bedinning of October aren't coming in anytime soon (http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=39033&st=0&#entry402607), I'll be going a different direction. I picked up some hunter green stain and some wood conditioner (wash coat) the other day and I'll be going at it that way. I'm going to experiment on some scrap first. My plan is to hit it with some ebony stain then sand it back so the grain is clearly defined. Then I'll hit it with the green. When I get something to show, I'll post some pics.

I think I like the right one best too, I think it has to do with how bold the grain is in that one compared to the other two. The left one also has pretty good grain, but I think the right one edges it out. Of course, that could have a lot to do with the piece of wood, but all things equal, I like the right one.