New Telecaster Project

Hello guys.

When i saw a electric guitar for the first time i thought that the best guitar shape is arrow or something like this with sharp edges. And of course, i hated tele shape.

But after some years i've found that it's shape is very pretty. Finally we (me and my bro) decided to make our own telecaster but with some original things.

First of all, the wood:

Body

Sapele body+makore top ( ok, it's not the thin top, as usual, but it's thickness is 1.7 cm and the sapele "body" thickness is 2.5 cm )

You can see body wood here:

1 - the dark wood is sapele and under it you can see makore.

2 - in order to machine makore we had to cut it and then glue the pieces together

3 - the top after some leveling and sanding (i think pretty nice texture)

4 - body glued

In our last project (ES-339 style) we used makore for the neck (it was really dark and heavy) and sapele for the body (it was light) but... i'm really suprised how the weight and the color of one wood spieces can differ. Now we have dark sapele and light makore. We selected the most resonant pieces for the body and neck

Neck

Another exotic wood in the guitar - Anigre. It's very resonant and rather lighweight.

5 - the future neck :D

After that introduction i would like about technical specifications and style.

Neck- 2 way truss rod, 2 carbon fiber rods, sperzel tuners, binded freatboard with custom inlay

Body- hipshot bridge, top and back binding

Golden age neck humbucker and haven't decieded yet about bridge one.

The guitar will be called ....... "Space Hooker" and will have custom inlay with "sputnik" and stars on the freatboard and also will have the dark blue finish.

I've made a picture in Photoshop, sorry for it's quality, but you can see the main ideas there.

Hookerweb.jpg

Any comments are welcome

Edited by Mr_Buttman

Sorry for the quality? I would have thought that was a real guitar.

SWEET choice of woods. you should leave the back natural, and just stain the top blue...I have always thought that was a nice combo.

I'm a big Tele fan after never having owned one...so I know what you mean.

Someday I'm gonna build my own semi-hollow tele.

• 1 month later...

That's going to be a nice one Mr. Buttman. I love teles too...I've made a couple. But nothing as nice as this one will no doubt be. Keep up the good work and the good posts.

As a side note--and not to take over your thread here--maybe you or someone else could fill me in on carbon fiber rods. I'm assuming they are used to add stiffness to the neck, but do they also make the trussrod less useful or harder to adjust? Just wondering.

• 4 months later...

I had so many projects so this build went really slow. Fortunately we gonna finish this in 2-3 weeks.

So, we glued the binding, inlay, drilled tuners holes and fretted the fingerboard.

Now you can see the guitar after 2 coats of sealer - i think very nice textured body and neck.

Next week we gonna add the color.

gr2.jpg

gr1.jpg

g6.jpg

g4.jpg

g5.jpg

Wow. That's what i call telecaster! Nice work, mate. You've got the same story as I do.. First hated tele's and then I tried out fender's 2 humbucker-tele, which had a nice setneck and played like hell.. Still regret that I didn't have the money at the time. Now I'm even more tempted to build a tele.. Just got to decide which one the next one will be, 7-string king V, or 7-string telecaster.. :D

• 2 months later...

I had huge problems with this guitar... After sealing whole guitar i've found some problems with binding so i decided to sand the sealer, route new binding channel and seal again and more...

So now i've sealed the guitar again and added the color (in reality it's lighter and you can see the texture very good)

32-1.jpg

Oh My God!

I was looking thru the post, looking at how BEAUTIFUL a natural wood Tele can be...

...and THEN I see you shot it PURPLE!

...No worries, it STILL looks beautiful!

Beautiful job, although I really loved the natural look myself.

You have inspired me to start a natural Mahogany guitar w/ binding!

So Beautiful!

Thanks Drak and Wez for your comments.

I agree, the natural wood was awesome but as you said it's nice with purple too. And i didn't want to change my original idea.

The back here will be transparent-purple too but the back of the neck will have natural wood color, hope this combination will be nice.

By the way, i'm building x-plorer now and the body wood is absolutely the same as in this project. (the top is from the same board).

I thought about the finish and i don't know what to do with side of the body - as you can see the "top" is very thick and even if i make tall binding i'll have combination of different wood...

exp.jpg

So if i leave whole guitar natural it won't be nice. Any suggestions what to do with the side of the body?

I've run into that myself, when the top lam is thicker than the binding.

What I usually do is install the binding (I usually bind top and bottom if I'm binding), then black out the sides with black pigment added into my shader coats, taping off the binding beforehand.

Binding both sides with black in the middle is a great look to me, very attractive I think.