Ormsby Guitars - Rick's Dc Customshop

I got this piece of Maple burl off a fellow forumite. When it arrived, I knew exactly what to build. I posted my idea/plan on another forum, and Rick jumped at the chance to order it.

Body: Maple burl

Neck: Indian Rosewood

Fretboard: Indian Rosewood

Electronics: Ormsby Handwound P90 style

Hardware: Tonepros bridge, Gotoh machineheads

Maple burl is warmer than straight Maple, so i knew it would be suitable for a body. The Rosewood neck tames the highs a little too.

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

I hope this turns out well... it's a gorgeous piece of wood, but like others have said burls are quite an unstable wood... but at that thickness it may not matter. As for what you said about burl being warmer, chances are it's because all the burled maple you've ever played around with it big leaf maple, which in general has a warmer sound than the other harder maples. However, I would have been slightly weary of this piece still because the more convoluted the grain becomes, the worse it becomes as transmitting and holding sounds... the best sounding maple's always gunna be the boring straight grained stuff... this being at the other end of the spectrum. You will probably wanna make the P90s so that they do a fair amount of coloring of the sound.

Chris

Why not be unique and just use the whole lot?

I'm just thinking about the economics. But... if the customer wants it that way and is willing to paying for it, they can have whatever they want.

economics should be left well alone from high end guitar building..... at least untill its time to pay!