LOL, I was going to actually suggest doing that and decided not to bother someone else with this. I had completely forgotten that I am a mod, it didn't even cross my mind to edit the post, haha. That new update really did wonders on the trash posts huh! J

Edited by jmrentis

I'd like to add an appeal that people SCALE their pics.

Down here we don't have as fast a connection, and I'm sure a lot of countries can still have problems. The number of pics have not been anything like as big a problem to me (I have stretched the rules quite often, but no one looks too hard at the sustainer thread :D )...it's the SIZE OF THE PICs that make the big difference.

The auto scaling/reduction does not help with this...the full size has to download before the reduction kicks in. If you reduce it to around the size that it will appear on screen or illustrates the point...then they load fast...but if you load directly from you camera, there are big problems.

All it takes is to open it up in MS Paint or something...and while you are there you can crop off anything that is not relevant (except feet in overhead shots...people enjoy checking out your shoes). On a typical photo taken with my digital camera, I reduce it in paint to 25% and crop it and the auto reduction of the forum still often kicks in...on a bigger pic of a whole guitar...often to 15% of the original size with little or no cropping.

This simple step allows you also to make easier quicker uploads into photobucket and generally makes for a better picture...it also can create a second reduced copy on your drive preserving the full size one as a copy should you want to play with it later.

SO...my point is that, the pics that I post in general load up fast despite my slow internet connection and maybe having a few in a thread, while some have these huge things (in the electronics section particularly), where you only what to see a small detail...but the auto reduced size of the original is too small...and the full size is so big you have to slide around the image to get the idea of what it was posted for to answer the question. And...it takes forever to load the thread, let alone that one image.

I don't know how to do thumbnails...but there have been some clever people that have put up a series of little thumbnails and these don't seem to have the same problems as the auto scaled things with loading and work fine.

It is good to see this relaxed a little more...but I would still appreciate it if people didn't go overboard with pics and that the pics were the appropriate size for the purpose. It should make the pic police's life a lot easier and make for a more relaxed forum though...so a good thing...

pete

• 3 weeks later...
The best way to use photos on a forum IMO is to upload them via photobucket and use their auto reduction facility,

select the auto reduction facility to 640 x 480 and then upload all your pics in one go so they are already the correct size when you link to them in a thread.

Just to help clarify since some people are not terribly savy with Photobucket, and I would imagine any of the other picture hosting sights are simliar. When you upload your pictures to Photobucket, there is an option to change the size of the picture, and they even have presets such as email, message board, avatar and such. Use this option so the picture is saved as 640x480 on Photobucket, and the message board does not have to auto resize a larger picture later.