Korina/maple 5 String Bass

Simo

Some of you might of already seen this over at the UKGB Forum or Talkbass but I thought I might as well post it up on here too. It's my first commission, for a friend (and former bandmate) of mine, Dan from Days of Ruin. The body design was created from Dan's rough sketches, the spec is as follows...

5 string, 35" scale, 24 frets

Korina body, with 1/2" Quilted Maple top

Plain Maple neck

Macassar Ebony fretboard

Black hardware: Hipshot bridge, Ultralite tuners

Nordstrand MM and Jazz pickups, 2 x vol, 1 x tone

Stainless steel dot inlays.

The pic below shows how it's looking at the moment, for progress pics go here.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/simnettguitar...57607478513105/

bnn.jpg

:D

Edited by Simo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The inlays are done and the fretboard has been radiused :D I suggested to Dan we use stainless steel for both the fret markers and side dots, 1.5mm for the side dots and 4mm for the fret markers, which Dan choose to have inlayed on the 7th, 12th, 19th & 24th frets. I'll be taking some neck measurements and profiles from one of Dan's basses later this week, then I'll make a start on shaping.

100_3822.jpg

100_3825.jpg

100_3849.jpg

Beautiful craftsmanship there!

How is stainless steel to work with?

Will the fingerboard end be shaped in some way? (ie. not just cut straight across)

DJ

I'm assuming he'll use a roundnose router bit, if I could jump to conclusions :D

SS fretwire was very easy to work with, I found, and nice and smooth! SS dots need more care in grinding them down to shape.

How is stainless steel to work with?

It's not too bad to work with, it takes a while to cut and file but the end result was worth it.

What type of wood is the thin black veneer, and where can you get it?

It's dyed black veneer, from marquetry.co.uk

Will the fingerboard end be shaped in some way? (ie. not just cut straight across)

I'm assuming he'll use a roundnose router bit, if I could jump to conclusions :D

Yep :D

alright, call me ignorant, but ive been silently following this build and i have a question....how my friend do you do seemless cavity covers like that?

That's classified as TOP SECRET...

Simo, your builds are getting better and better! That Korina looks clean, nice and even colored! Are you staining the top or will it be natural?

alright, call me ignorant, but ive been silently following this build and i have a question....how my friend do you do seemless cavity covers like that?

I route the cover using a template cutter and mdf template.

That's classified as TOP SECRET...

Simo, your builds are getting better and better! That Korina looks clean, nice and even colored! Are you staining the top or will it be natural?

Thanks :D They'll be no staining, I've always preferred natural woods. I'll be using Rustin's Plastic Coating and beeswax for a nice satin finish.

• 2 weeks later...