Battery Boxes

daveq

Well, what I was looking for was something that can be opened/closed similar to the way the 9V boxes work - without the need for tools. Something where you just slide the batteries in and snap it shut. Like I was saying, I will make my own from RadioShack parts if I have to but I doubt it will look as clean as the 9V boxes.

perhaps you could hack up an old VCR remote or an old walk man and use the battery holders in those.

just a suggestion. :D

there are a few electronic shops in australia like radio shack, tandys, dick smith electronics and jay car. and if you can get these really easily in australia, you must be able to get them very easily where you are.

Page.

If you check out a high end hobby store that has parts for model trains and such they have 'em. Some of the train stores have them for lighthing tiny buildings or signs and stuff, they're made to sit up inside the base from underneath and they mount flush. Good luck.

Thanks Bingo - can you think of any company names, or anything that I could do a search on? Searching on "AA" or "Battery Box" can turn up hundreds of thousands of pages of crap.

They key here is the flush mount / easy to open shut without needing tools - just like the GOTOH 9V boxes. I have seen several people reply with the electronics parts idea but that's not what I'm after (thanks anyway though).

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Dave, I don't know of any brand names for sure but I have seen them. It was at a place called "Ye Olde Hobby Shoppe" in Altoona, PA. No idea if they have a sight or are even in buisness anymore. They didn't pop up like 9V boxes but had a lid more like a TV remote. Do you have any model train or RC shops near you to check?

hey, if you end up having to make your own, you could try cutting the top off of one of the 9 volt boxes and using it as a top for you own AA box. like routing out out the wood underneath, putting in your AA clips, then putting the top on? i don't know if a AA is the same length as a 9 volt (i hate 9 volts, i don't have any with me)

why double A? if its the voltage use a resistor, if you dont know which resistor to use then ask a guy at radioshack, they know what they're talking bout' sometimes.

Well, it's a bit of a secret for now :D. I have an Electrical Engineering degree so I can get by without the RadioShack guy most of the time. I'm powering something that has a bit of a current draw (about 125mA). Using AA's would help make the power last longer (2-4 times longer than the 9V's). I'm still thinking about it, but I'm kinda leaning towards putting the 9V's in (using the GOTOH box) and just stepping the voltage down to 6V. It will be a bummer to have to change batteries more often - but the guitar will look more professional, I think. There are some 9V's available with extended life - the Lithium types. They will last about as long as a AA but with a heavier cost B) .

Oh well, I won't be secretive for too long - I'm sure some of you already know what I'm up to. Hopefully, it will be ready next month. Thanks for your replies.

Dave

dave - i (for school project) am making a portable pre-amp, and wanted an extended capacity, and rechargable, so i have a battery for you to check out....

these are Nickel Metal Hydride, rechargable, good batts.

the 9V PP3 type are about 150mAh where as the ones i found called 2/3AA are 700mAh AAA are 750mAh and AA are around 2000mAh. the 2/3 AA batts have the same diameter as the AA but are shorter, and more compact, so check these!

cya

mike

How about a phantom power supply. You should have no problem making that. Just change the jack on the guitar to a stereo one and use a stereo (tip-ring) cable. Use the tip for the guitar signal and the ring to carry the dc voltage from an adapter or dc power supply, with the grounded shield as common. In fact, if my guitar had active pickups, that's what I'd do, too. I hate batteries! :D

saber thats a damn good idea. thats a really really good idea actually. im gonna have to design something to work with that. a stomp box that works as a powersource and a booster or sumat.

yay, more electronics circuits to design