Lava Effect Help

I'm in the planning phase of my second build.

I want a strong lava feel on the body. And I want it to be 'real' lava effect where the hot yellow is surrounded by the cool reds and browns.

Kinda like this:

lava2-2.jpg

I guess my question is, can I stain the curl of the maple or lacewood with the yellow, and then apply orange/red die over top of it? Or would that override the yellow?

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

The general rule with dyes is to use the darker colors first.

Lacewood is a hassle to dye. It must be thoroughly bleached to an off white and then dyed.... if you need to sand back, then it's difficult not to sand through the bleached area... and the dyes don't absorb very well (it takes a lot of very dark dye to get a good color). It's diffucult. It looks great when finished, but it wouldn't look like lava... so I wouldn't recommend it.

I think a high figure maple or maple burl would be your best option.

To do this, I would first dye dark black. Than I would sand back so there is just a little black in some places, and alot in others. Then I apply reds and browns, allow it to dry, then finish with a bright yellow. Any final blending can be done with a damp cloth.

Good luck!

It absolutely can be done. A member of this forum who has not been around for quite some time built one that looked very much like lava. His user name is Drak, but any of his pictures are not hosted anymore.

If anyone knows of a website he has or any way to view some of his builds, they would be a huge help.

Too bad Drak left... his work was really inspiring. Here is a picture of his "Magma Attack" guitar.

drak_GORN-2.jpg

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=25866

Wow, that is exactly what i was looking for, at least for the middle/outer rim of the burst.

Thank you for this.

So hwo do you suppose this was created? Stain, sand, dye, sand? How would i go about continuing to add the brighter yellow/oranges? Continue with Stain, sand, dye (brown/orange), sand, dye (orange/yellow) as I move towards the center?

EDIT: I suppose if I, y'know, actually read the linked post, I could have answered these questions for myself :D

Edited by screamindaemon

I still can not believe the pieces of wood that he would get his hands on, and am still in awe of his finishing capabilities.

+1 to all that. I have a habit of saving pictures I like. The internet is so transient in nature that you never know when they'll just disappear one day. I have a few other Drak pictures saved... wish I had more.

Check this beauty out:

drak_FRONT3.jpg

Hope Drak doesn't mind me posting these.

It's been a few years since Magma Attack, but I'm here if you have any questions, and thanks for the nice words. :D

You are the famous Drak, impressive work, I've done a few quitled maple tops but nothing as good looking as the picture shown above, the bookmatched grain pattern is awesome, and it actually looks like fire.

How do you achieve the awesome 3D effect. Any special tricks?

Or is it what we all know, dye dark sand back, dye with the light colors, and clear coat.

Thank You for the kind words.

Which one, Magma or the Tele, they were done two different ways.

You can see the directions for Magma by following the thread.

The Tele burst was done by wiping on the dark brown waterbased anilyne dye, sanding back, letting dry, wiping on the waterbased basecoat amber color, let dry, then using an airbrush to do most of the rest of the burst, that's why it has such a beautiful, almost imperceptible gradual fade to the center part of the burst, because the waterbased dyes blended into each other before any finish was applied.

The outer edge burst was applied as a tinted color coat, after clear coats and leveling, but most of what you see was done before any finish was applied, all waterbased dye with an airbrush.

So you can see the difference between applying waterbased bursts before finish, and applying tinted toner coats as part of the finish, all on the same guitar.

I love the Tele, I'll take some pics when the weather warms up and post them, it turned out great.

Thank You for the kind words.

Which one, Magma or the Tele, they were done two different ways.

You can see the directions for Magma by following the thread.

The Tele burst was done by wiping on the dark brown waterbased anilyne dye, sanding back, letting dry, wiping on the waterbased basecoat amber color, let dry, then using an airbrush to do most of the rest of the burst, that's why it has such a beautiful, almost imperceptible gradual fade to the center part of the burst, because the waterbased dyes blended into each other before any finish was applied.

The outer edge burst was applied as a tinted color coat, after clear coats and leveling, but most of what you see was done before any finish was applied, all waterbased dye with an airbrush.

So you can see the difference between applying waterbased bursts before finish, and applying tinted toner coats as part of the finish, all on the same guitar.

I love the Tele, I'll take some pics when the weather warms up and post them, it turned out great.

On my post I meant the Magma, but the Tele is equally beautiful, would love to see the pics of the finished guitar, thanks for sharing this info, I am going to try it.