Ric Bass Build Mark Ii: The Rickenbaker

it has the fretting table on page 204 listed as rickenbacker and that is 32.5", and it says it on page 15 as you say.

since the book is about making your own guitar design rather than exact copies i think melvyn can be forgiven if the info is wrong.

Forgiven? absolutely. Thanked is more like it- that was the first book I ever saw on guitar building and was the best thing since sliced bread back when a friend of mine in England sent me a copy for my birthday back in the early 90s. I couldnt find it here in the states. Actually- I didnt know it even existed. What a birthday present!

Wez- hopefully you didnt take me slamming him with that comment-not my intent by any means- I only wanted to check to see if perhaps the original scale length was in fact 32.5"- and perhaps the rick factory re-issues were done with existing fretting machines and they didnt go back to original scale. I have a distinct sound locked in my mind on how a rick sounds- and for years I actually had in my mind that it was a 32.5" scale based on what the book said. I have seen where other mfg (gibson) has "not quite done the reissue to vintage specs" so I was curious if this was the case here. Perhaps by contacting him I may find out even more information on the 32.5", incase it is not a misprint and there is a good reason for it being printed like that.

Its all good- only seeking knowledge. :D

I'm not feeling at all slammed! :D It's an interesting point - I don't know if the original rics were shorter scale, I'm pretty sure in the books I have on classic guitars (and rickenbacker's website) that they all list them as 33 1/4", maybe anyone here with an authentic vintage ric can get a tape measure out for us.

Melvyn Hiscox book is also my reference bible to all the guitars I've built so far, coun't have made a start on this addictive craft without that book.

Made a start ont he routing this afternoon.

neckpuprout.jpg

Wez- hopefully you didnt take me slamming him with that comment-

not at all, i was really just confirming what you were saying. its the book that started it all for me too - but its not the book i would go to for accurate vintage info

it seems rickenbacker usually did stick with 33.25" for most basses and 30" for some short scale models

Final bit of routing - bridge pickup. Second use of the B&Q copper pipe, a little trick learnt on the forum for making the wiring holes from crtl cavity to bridge and pickup cavity easier to drill - always scares me doing that bit. The drill bit stuck into the end of the pipe with a blob of epoxy makes the job a lot easier and a lot less risky.

drilly.jpg

Nice! The headstock looks a little off to me... but i'm no ric expert! i cant' wait to see it finished :D

The headstock is off a bit. The shape seems slightly wrong on the bottom right, but it's the width of the center stripe that's really different. The one on my Ric and the other's I've seen are much narrower.

Edited by dsgoen

Real rics have only a 5 or 6mm centre stripe. I had a nice 20mm wide piece of cherry for the neck so as this is not a real ric Iwent for the thicker stripe. I guess the sound won't be compromised by this departure from authenticity.

the headstock should be pretty much on, there is the inevitable fore-shortening of the photo image.

No new pics for a bit, been slowly building up the thin layers of Tru-oil. A touch of antique pine stain to the maple top gives it a warmer golden glow to take away the stark bleached white.

• 2 weeks later...