Pickup Mounting

daveq

I have built a body that is setup to have the pickups mount without the use of mounting rings. I'm sure some of you have seen pics of this method in the past - just routed more wood on one side and then glued the maple top on. They go in and out fine - but I'm wondering how difficult it's going to be to get the springs on. Any idea what people do for situations like this? Are the springs replaced with something else? Let me know if you're not sure what I'm talking about - I think I can find some pics somewhere of a similar guitar.

instead of springs you could use some of that stew mac tubbing and cut it just a tad longer then you need then it won't keep the screw from going in the hole, but it'll provide the resistance required once the pickup is secured in place

pickup spring tubing

Imagine a pilot hole for the screw inside a larger but not as deep hole for the end of the spring to settle into so it doesn't wiggle around.

Oh, I see now. Yes, that would have been a good idea. Unfortunately, the top is glued on so I can't make any changes to the under-side of it. I'll keep that one in mind for the next guitar though - thanks.

alex said once he spot soldered the springs onto the pickup before inserting them

Thanks Wes, I might give that a try - it may end up being the easiest way to go. If it doesn't work for me, I'll try the stuff that Derek mentioned.

Why do you not want to use Mounting Rings.. I think they make the guitar look better myself.. but just my opinion...

I don't normally care about them one way or the other. For this particular guitar, I didn't want them - I wanted to have the top wood meet with the pickup without any hardware (other than the two screws). I hope to post pics soon.

Why do you not want to use Mounting Rings.. I think they make the guitar look better myself.. but just my opinion...

Just a matter of taste. In this case the neck pup is a single coil so I wanted a pickguard type mount. I just thought I would carry the theme down to the bridge.

With the covered L-450 I love the look but I'm not sure if I would like it as much with open coils. It's also a hell of a lot more work. I've got it down pretty good now but it's still a major chore.