First Project

I'm starting my first project and it's a hard one I suppose. It's going to be a PRS carve top copy with a 25 1/2 (648 mm) scale. I'm using South American Mahogany for the back and a Curly Maple for the Top. I plan on making the router jig I've seen on this forum for removing and starting the carve shaping. I also found another jig on line for cutting the neck and pickup pockets and the angle required. It's going to be a 24 fret Stop-tail. I'm using the Wilkinson GTB adjustable Stop-tail on the G and B strings.

I did order a neck though seeing this is my first attempt I didn't feel up to making my own neck. I do plan on doing some custom inlays on the headstock.

I'll try to post picks for everyone to see as i go along.

feel free to give me any suggestions .

David

First of all, welcome to the forum David! :D That sounds a lot like the project I'm working on (a PRS style guitar), but I haven't had time to work on it for ages. I hope it all goes well for you, and we would love to see pictures! I think this topic belongs in the Works in Progress category though. Good luck!

Welcome David! I see you live in Toronto...I want to move up there to study and eventually stay, hehe. Good luck with your project!

(I´ll move the topic to the correct section)

Thanks for moving the thread to the right section. If you Plan on moving up here I hope you like the cold and snow for 6 months of the year. It is a great place to live.

Edited by PRS Tait

You can use a jigsaw, but stay well outside of the lines, as the jigsaw blade will not stay perfectly vertical.

Then use a router and your router template (both of which I assume you have...?) to clean it up.

You don't have to worry about the jigsaw not cutting a clean line -- you're not cutting anywhere near the line.

You said you're going to sand down the finish on the fretboard? It's a rosewood-type wood, there shouldn't be any finish on it... I'm confused :D

If that is the case, you should definitely keep sure you're as careful as possible around the frets, unless you're planning on refretting a chipped fret or two!

St. Kitts eh?

were yuo aware of the wood show in Hamilton (airport) this weekend;

always good ; and for me i find it superior to the the Toronto one; exept exotics, hamilton has one dealer (my bud from the wood shed smithville) and T.O. has 4-5; but they got nothing compared to exotic woods in Burlington and

A&M in Cambridge; thats available anytime;

just some useless imformation!

some pics of the neck.

n652275556_5560790_1103.jpg

n652275556_5560791_1414.jpg

So how would you rate that neck? I checked out the seller on ebay and the prices look great. I don't mind removing the finish as you did, but do you think the neck is a good buy?

I'm in the middle of a tele build right now but I really like the shape of that neck and would consider it for my next project.

Thanks,

John

I like the neck but the thing is the fretboard having a finish on it that had to be removed. And if your going to go through all this trouble. would it just be easier to make one the way you want. I say if you like the shape and you think it's going to work for you and the price is good then go for it. but if you are second guessing it then don't. for me it will do for my first build.

I like the neck but the thing is the fretboard having a finish on it that had to be removed. And if your going to go through all this trouble. would it just be easier to make one the way you want. I say if you like the shape and you think it's going to work for you and the price is good then go for it. but if you are second guessing it then don't. for me it will do for my first build.

The tele I am working on is my first build. If I buy the neck, it will be my second. I haven't done a neck yet and don't know that I have the time right now. For the cost with shipping it would only run about $50-60 for me. I'm not ready to buy the fretting tools and all that stuff. For the tele, I will most likely buy the neck also.

Looking good! One thing to watch is your neck joint. I noticed that the neck you bought is cut straight with the end of the fingerboard. A PRS/LP jr neck joint has a tounge that extends under the neck pickup which gives you a lot more gluing surface. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. See how the neck extends through the pickup cavity. You could always push the neck further into the body to get a more gluing surface, but then you will lose high fret access.

l_e8ef7a0a40c329955f847f51c1a60745.jpg