head stock size

hi all i got a feelin i cud be kicking myself after i read some replys but theres only one way to find out. iv stupidly taken the action of do now ask questions later. iv cut my headstock out n drilled my holes for the machine heads n thought it looked a bit small. is there key sizes to making a head stock or aslong as i can get the strings to the machine heads is the size ok?

be gr8full if u reply

thnx n rgds :DB)

Depends on who you talk to - Dean Zelinsky believed a huge headstock made for more resonance and sustain, Paul Reed Smith promoted the opposite view, and Ned Steinberger didn't use headstocks at all. All three have convincing arguments for their personal points of view, and all three have made some awesome guitars. Whatever you did will probably be just fine, but you may want to work out a plausible reason for it to satisfy the "Tone Police" :D

the headstock i designed is huge. it is longer and nearly wider than that of a gibson les paul/sg headstock. i didn't really want a big headstock at first, but it just turned out that way i guess.

ill be doing my headstock in the not so distant future, and i think im leaning towards the PRS size, but i cant say for now. cut a big one, and keep makin it smaller till ya like it, usually better to have more than less to work with!

mike

• 2 weeks later...

One issue that needs to be considered whem designing the headstock is the path of the strings to the tuners. Don't forget to draw them when drawing your headstock. I got so caught up in the outline shape on my first one that I forgot to consider what the strings were doing. I think it's better to not make them angle much to the left or right if you can. The sharper angles can cause problems.

The truss rod access and cover should be considered also.

I'm sure you have already thought of these things but like I said - I forgot while caught up in designing one of my headstocks. Luckily, I remembered just before cutting it out and had to re-arrange some things.

I really believe that the headstock is something that really affects the personality of the guitar. The headstock shape is one of the first things I look at when evaluating a guitar's looks. I don't care for the subtle, boring looking headstocks and also don't really care for the extreme looking ones either.

It definitely should follow the overall "personality" of the guitar in my opinion. Putting a flying V headstock (triangle) on an Ibanez body wouldn't look right to me. There probably is no way to explain it and is definitely subjective.