What Do I Do If I Dont Know What Shape I Want My Guitar Body

i just cant find a guitar body that i like and want to make a guitar out of. anyone else ever have this problem or am i just not creative. i want a guitar thats original and sticks out but not like those nasty deans. also something i can actually play sitting down unlike V shaped guitars

Edited by gtrplyr

Ever check out the Jackson Warrior or the Kelly?

I like those type of shapes for being able to sit down...though I prefer a vee for standing...I modded the explorer shape a while back to be a bit more playable.

Also the ESP F series is very natural feeling both standing and sitting.If I had to only choose one shape guitar to play for the rest of my life,I think I might pick that one.

Hey, I've been trying to decide on a body shape for my guitar ...

My favorite shape and headstock:

Vendetta4FloydRose.JPG

You started the "Coolest Body Shapes" thread which attracted a lot of responses ... nothing came from that for you?

How about previous "Guitars of the Month" ... have you been back through those?

If you keep hanging around this place I doubt you're going to limit yourself to one build, so jump in and try building the guitar above. Once you've done that, you'll have a hundred ideas for things you want to do differently or better on your second build!

:D

I actually found that to be one of the hardest parts of building a guitar...dreaming up a unique shape. And once you've chosen one you have to fully commit yourself to building. It took a year for me to come up with the shape of my last guitar. I just sat there staring at the blocks of wood I glued together. Time well spent. :D

I agree with southpaw; time well spent. One thing I did was go down to my local music store and pick up all the free brochures I could get. You don't have to copy those shapes but you can study them for ideas and thnk about why they may have done certain things. A design can be a mix of others ideas with your own.

Hey, I've been trying to decide on a body shape for my guitar ...

My favorite shape and headstock:

Vendetta4FloydRose.JPG

You started the "Coolest Body Shapes" thread which attracted a lot of responses ... nothing came from that for you?

How about previous "Guitars of the Month" ... have you been back through those?

If you keep hanging around this place I doubt you're going to limit yourself to one build, so jump in and try building the guitar above. Once you've done that, you'll have a hundred ideas for things you want to do differently or better on your second build!

ive been through year 2002 of the GOTM threads and its still pretty hard to find something i havent fallen for. that guitar i posted there is one i wanted to buy before i discovered guitar making. it was not by any means my dream guitar its just something i was looking into because of the specs. maybe ill just make an ibanez sabre shape but i still have to go to GC and try one out. i guess i just gotta draw like crazy

edit: ive also been through every thread on the first 10 or so pages in the in progress and finished section, still looking through there

Edited by gtrplyr

Since a lot of the "look" of a guitar has to do with "image" and in many cases designs forgo playability for "shape", you could have a good think about the type of music, tone and look you want to portray. After all, when you are playing it, it's the audience that sees it more than you!

You may also want to take in what others (including none guitar players...or is that gtrplyr's) will admire. If you want your mum (or is that mom) to like it...a lot of pointy bits may not suit (although I don't actually know your mother...maybe they would) and such things may be a consideration if they are financially contributing to the build :D !

You may wish to consider if you are lazy and lean your guitar up against and amp...or looking across the room, my tele leaning on the couch (next to an empty guitar stand!)...then some guitars can have a tendency to fall over.

Guitars have evolved over the years...many have come and gone due to impracticality as well as fashion. It is worth then starting from something that you like the basic design of. But beware changing things too much, it can look like you couldn't get it right and a lot of guitars have evolved or were made (for intelligent designers out there :D ) right in the first place! I only ever saw one Devo guitar in the shape of a potato for instance!

Consider colour and scratchplates and things as well...all these things effect a guitars look...just about anything in sea foam green could be considered a surf guitar...hahaha...black a metal machine!

Anyway...dreaming away with pencil and paper is the ideal thing, have some paper, maybe even trace off of front on designs of guitars printed from the net (to get a correct idea about neck to body length and such) and then try to imagine it in 3d as well (the best designs are not just flat shapes, the curves of a strat are the sexiest when viewed from the upper side for instance)...

pete

Since a lot of the "look" of a guitar has to do with "image" and in many cases designs forgo playability for "shape", you could have a good think about the type of music, tone and look you want to portray. After all, when you are playing it, it's the audience that sees it more than you!

You may also want to take in what others (including none guitar players...or is that gtrplyr's) will admire. If you want your mum (or is that mom) to like it...a lot of pointy bits may not suit (although I don't actually know your mother...maybe they would) and such things may be a consideration if they are financially contributing to the build B) !

You may wish to consider if you are lazy and lean your guitar up against and amp...or looking across the room, my tele leaning on the couch (next to an empty guitar stand!)...then some guitars can have a tendency to fall over.

Guitars have evolved over the years...many have come and gone due to impracticality as well as fashion. It is worth then starting from something that you like the basic design of. But beware changing things too much, it can look like you couldn't get it right and a lot of guitars have evolved or were made (for intelligent designers out there :D ) right in the first place! I only ever saw one Devo guitar in the shape of a potato for instance!

Consider colour and scratchplates and things as well...all these things effect a guitars look...just about anything in sea foam green could be considered a surf guitar...hahaha...black a metal machine!

Anyway...dreaming away with pencil and paper is the ideal thing, have some paper, maybe even trace off of front on designs of guitars printed from the net (to get a correct idea about neck to body length and such) and then try to imagine it in 3d as well (the best designs are not just flat shapes, the curves of a strat are the sexiest when viewed from the upper side for instance)...

pete

I see what you mean, the music I play is metal but I hate those crazy weirdo quitars like deans and suck. they are just too out there for me. I'm looking for something original that makes people double-take when they see it. I guess if I want something original I shouldnt be asking you guys eh :D. The problem with copying my favorite guitars is that I dont want to copy a guitar, I want my own original design that sticks out in the crowd but after looking through almost 15 pages in the IP and F forum I can see that its going to be hard to pull that off, you guys make great guitars and I just wish I could do that. Some of them in there look like a guitar you would buy at any guitar store like a copy of an already made guitar but some of them are just like WOW I'm going to sit and stare at this one for a second and then go change my pants - like this one.

I think I may have a solution for you. I agree with Pete about your image. Along those lines, I suggest you take a picture of yourself facing forward and let people photoshop guitars in front of you. Who knows? We might even be able to make some stage costuming suggestions.

I think I may have a solution for you. I agree with Pete about your image. Along those lines, I suggest you take a picture of yourself facing forward and let people photoshop guitars in front of you. Who knows? We might even be able to make some stage costuming suggestions.

That's an excellent idea!

Seriously, a lot of people, metal or otherwise have distinguishing "trademark" looks (regardless of guitar shape)...maybe fake F-holes (gilbert) or plaid (sareceno) or black and white (schenker) and perhaps yours is a vivid color like lime green or yellow. With stock black, dressed in black...who cares what shape it is I imagine...what about blackboard black...and you write special messages in chalk on the thing...or go futuristic and make it a white board and go crazy with markers just before the gig!

Clearly...I'm not a "metal" kind of guy....but the kind of look or style you are aiming for might give you a clue...I mean, there is the EVH "frankinstein guitar" attitude (don't care what it looks like, as long as it does the job) to some high tech machine that has to look immaculate.

I mean, if you wanted to be really different, you could go all giger-esque...so brainstorming here...a black guitar that looks like parts of it has been shot away to reveal internal chrome piping would kind of look cool, don't know where that came from...hahahaha

pete

I think this is a stupid and immature idea dpm ... and Britney agrees with me!!

Britney.jpg

But Britney agrees with everything I say 'cos I tapped her.

Twice.