Router Recommendation, Tele Template Dxf File

Hello,

So as my build and planning progresses, I've finally found a body wood that I like and will be getting my blank. Accordingly, this puts me in the market for a router. This will be my first build, so I will be taking things slowly and carefully.

I'm curious as to what you guys recommend for an entry level router. I'm a novice when it comes to wood working(I do have some experience with metal though). To be honest, I'm a bit intimidated by a full scale router, and was originally planning on taking it slow with a dremel/dremel router attachment. Online reading has talked me out of that. I've also seen that harbor freight has a little 2.5 amp mini router thing for 20 bucks. This seems like it might work for pickup cavaties and neck pockets, but I cringe at the thought of buying anything cheap from harbor frieght.

In any case, I'm curious what router setup would be ideal for a first timer for pickups and neck pockets? Something inexpensive but capable of getting the job done. My emphasis would be on something controllable and precise. Guitars will be my only application for it...at least for now.

Also, I'm curious if anybody has a dxf file of a tele template that is ready to be laser cut. That means no duplicate lines, splines etc. I've seen a few online but only have a viewer to see them so I can't tell if they are ready. Hoping someone can verify one of them for me.

Thanks!!!

This is my opinion, others may disagree. Regarding Harbor Freight. if it plugs in and spins, don't buy it. China has different standards. Do you really want something that was made in china spinning that fast near your body? Be selective when you buy from there.

Again... Just my opinion.

If you're looking to cut costs on a router, hit the pawn shops. I'm willing to bet you can find a very good router there.

This is my opinion, others may disagree. Regarding Harbor Freight. if it plugs in and spins, don't buy it. China has different standards. Do you really want something that was made in china spinning that fast near your body? Be selective when you buy from there.

Again... Just my opinion.

If you're looking to cut costs on a router, hit the pawn shops. I'm willing to bet you can find a very good router there.

I know you say just your opinion but it's far from reality. As much as the tool label snobs will be surprised but Chinese power tools can be excellent - like all things depending on the manufacturer. The fact is Makita have a Chinese factory which produce Chinese Makita tools for the local market. 1 Billion people and a huge producer of timber products they have some seriously good tools.

They are imported directly here (as Laos borders China) and I know from 1st hand experience that as much of a bad reputation chinese products have got in general, the reality is they are equal to most other countries in quality. The fact is most of the cheap crappy stuff is from Taiwan opposed to mainland China.

I've had the same Chinese made router for the past 2 years or so and it's taken some serious hammer routing many seriously hard timbers and it's still going strong.

Buying 2nd hand is probably the worst idea when it comes to power tools!

As for the tools, thanks for the advice guys. I'll check some of these suggestions out.

Here is a link to a very nice tele drawing done by member of the TDPRI.

Tele DWG

Tele PDF

That dwg doesn't seem like it will allow my to take it to an acrylic laser cutting outfit and cut out a template. While it's a nice drawing, I don't think it will allow me to do what I need to do. Anybody else know where a tele template has been drawn up for laser cutting?

Take a look through the tool section of the forum, as the topic of routers comes up fairly often. That being said, my vote goes to the Hitachi kit that has a plunge and a fixed base.

I have one of the hitachi kits and it's great, but if your not pplanning on building a lot or don't want to spend that much I would probably end up buying the ryobi plunge router from home depot.

That dwg doesn't seem like it will allow my to take it to an acrylic laser cutting outfit and cut out a template. While it's a nice drawing, I don't think it will allow me to do what I need to do. Anybody else know where a tele template has been drawn up for laser cutting?

I have had that drawing from when it was first floating the internet and I have compared it to a facsimile of an original Fender factory drawing at it is extremely accurate. Its a quick fix to make something god out of that drawing. PM me with your e-mail address, let me know what you need in the file (contours, neck pockets etc) and I'll make something useful and send it to you.

I know you say just your opinion but it's far from reality. As much as the tool label snobs will be surprised but Chinese power tools can be excellent - like all things depending on the manufacturer. The fact is Makita have a Chinese factory which produce Chinese Makita tools for the local market. 1 Billion people and a huge producer of timber products they have some seriously good tools.

They are imported directly here (as Laos borders China) and I know from 1st hand experience that as much of a bad reputation Chinese products have got in general, the reality is they are equal to most other countries in quality. The fact is most of the cheap crappy stuff is from Taiwan opposed to mainland China.

I've had the same Chinese made router for the past 2 years or so and it's taken some serious hammer routing many seriously hard timbers and it's still going strong.

Buying 2nd hand is probably the worst idea when it comes to power tools!

First I have to agree with RickBlacker on this one. First Harbor Freight sells the lowest quality routers I have seen, all from mainland china.. The fact that something made in china has a Makita name on it means the specs are probably different. Same goes for most tools these days. I don't doubt many parts of great pro tools are made in china. Its just they have certain requirements that have to met first.

I also don't believe in the China Vs Taiwan. I recently bought a metal mill, the more expensive mill was from Taiwan and the cheaper mill a copy from China. The better brand being Rong Fu. I am sure Taiwan also makes garbage too.

Even within the US we have garbage being sold, like Sears, Black and decker , Roybi to name but a few. Porter Cable , Hitachi, Makita, Dewalt, Rigid and others are quality tools made to more exacting specifications, and are sold as Pro tools. If you see pro router on the label like sears pro series be wary real pro routers don't have to advertize they are pro tools.

Products like the Porter cable 690 are inexpensive and worth it for the small additional out of pocket cost. Most of the router posts are from people who cheeped out and now have to buy another router. In the end its going to cost you more.

Do you guys think a plunge router is necessary of is a fixed based router sufficient?

For pickups I plan to remove most material with a drill first anyways...

A plunge router is easier but you can do it with a fixed base router. You need to drill a hole just a little bit deeper than the depth of the cavity so the bit can go in it you will see the place where you started but that should be covered up anyways. That's how I did my first guitar with a crappy craftsman router and it worked once I realized I was going to be doing a lot more I ordered the hitachi kit.

If you don't want a full sized router, check this thread out. I use this thing way more than my router.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=25245

Laminate trimmers in general are great for guitar building. That Rigid one is good kit, though.

Edited by NotYou

If you don't want a full sized router, check this thread out. I use this thing way more than my router.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=25245

Laminate trimmers in general are great for guitar building. That Rigid one is good kit, though.

Cool, looks like a nice little router.

Out of curiosity, how much power do I need to be sufficient? I suppose amperage would be the most telling?