New Build, For A Friend.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good eye!

It works well for me, although it's the only decent one I have. I'd like to pick up some different models eventually just to experiment.

It's not low angle, but this is a great spokeshave:

http://www.garrettwade.com/stanley-flat-fa...e/p/11P32ddd01/

I have the flat faced one (the red one). It's probably my favorite tool. The blade seems almost indestructible.

Edited by NotYou

Great build! Body and neck design flow very nicely. I definitely should have commented on this earlier but they're winners in my book. What kind of oil are you using? What's your finishing process like?

Haha, yeah it's Tru Oil.

I sand the whole thing up to around 800 grit, clean it really well and just start applying the oil. I'll do 6 or 8 coats, each with a couple hours drying time and I knock it down with 0000 synthetic steel wool in between coats. I keep the coats really thin and wipe off the excess so that it stays nice and uniform as I go. I'm not going for any sort grainfilling on this guitar.

I don't wanna hear no sass from you, Wez :D My underground laboratory has many an unmarked, brownish bottle!

Thanks for the info, Metalhead! I'm always looking for more info about oiling; it's the one part I really want to improve upon. I want to do a more satin, un-grainfilled look for my next build.

I think your friend will be very pleased.I like the fact you are doing this for someone,just because you want to.

Before I moved ,I picked up a guitar for $5.00 .The guy said it would not keep tune.It was a cheap guitar,probably $300.00 or so new,but it was eletric with two humbuckers and a hollow body,in black.So I took it home and thought I would just get the parts off it, then I thought someone mite want it .I was going to the JC at the time, for guitar classes.Long story short ,I tore it down ,cleaned and set it up.Buffed it to a nice shine, then went to the beginner class of guitar and asked the teacher to pick someone out that would use it.He did and the guy loved it ,as he could not afford a eletric guitar at the time.I just asked him when he stepped up to pass it down.Oh ,it would not keep tune ,because the truss rod was flopping around.It had never been adjusted or tweeked.