"this Dramatically Reduces The Appearance Of The Joint As Seen In

NOTE: Topic title should read "This dramatically reduces the appearance of the joint as seen in the end grain." Had a quick look but I can't see how you can edit the title...

I saw this technique at http://www.ronkirn.com/tutorial/index.htm [it's an in-depth Strat build tutorial]

I don't remember seeing anyone use it on PG before, so thought I would post it up.

Edited by Lester Corncrake

NOTE: Topic title should read "This dramatically reduces the appearance of the joint as seen in the end grain." Had a quick look but I can't see how you can edit the title...

I saw this technique at http://www.ronkirn.com/tutorial/index.htm [it's an in-depth Strat build tutorial]

I don't remember seeing anyone use it on PG before, so thought I would post it up.

Nice little trick and a REALLY great build tut. Check it out everybody.

it really depends on the spruce in question

the original parker plys where spruce

the original fenders were pine

Squier curently produce guitars with pine bodies that are closer to swamp ash than any other wood they could pick in that price range

yamaha make a balsa wood guitar with facings of hardwood

the point is its possible and sometimes even desirable. i still prefer harder woods myself. just allow for the structure of the piece of wood you are using

I've never seen or heard a guitar made out of high-grade spruce, and the guy has a point that spruce is used in piano soundboards. Might sound nice!

spruce guitars do sound very nice. a bit different but definatly not bad, quite acoustic like and rich.

i will mention the parker fly again, they now make it in many different woods but sitka spruce is still available for them

the parker fly artist model typically comes with a quartersawn straight grained one piece sitka spruce body (much better than you would see in 95% of pianos)... reinforced with CF round the back iirc, because a big issue is how easy it will dent, enough to put most manufacturers off although in reality its no worse than basswood for that.