Skunk-striped Carbon Fiber Guitar Almost Done

Hey guys I figured I'd upload some images and see whatcha think.

I want a really thin neck so I opted for carbon fiber, although this forum warned against it

PICT0075.jpg

PICT0076.jpg

PICT0077.jpg

PICT0078.jpg

I'm still working on contouring it more and making it look all pretty but I'm excited for it to be done. Also I'll have a detailed thread when its done but I'm happy to answer questions or whatever.

Well thanks for the replies guys.

The pups are actually going to be some Dimarzios that I bought but I'm going to use magnets to hold them in instead of the traditional ring so thats why the routes look weird. I must say that EMGs would be wicked but I decided against them :D . As for the lower horn I'm actually with you guys, I don't think it turned out quite like I wanted but I slapped more carbon fiber in each horn so the design is pretty set in stone. And with the hardware hell yea I'm going with steinberger gearless, there sooo cool, and a tune-o bridge and I'm still praying that the locking nut will be enough to hold the strings at the other end.

Keep askin questions and I'll try to get some more pics up as I get farther along.

unfortunately I can't even leave the ball end out to keep the strings there because the winding near the ball is longer than the nut if that makes sense. I'm just gonna put the strings in there and clamp them down as hard as possible and maybe solder the bare ones if need be. As for the magnets its kinda hard to explain but I plan to have magnets on the body which will stick to the screws on the pickup (I'll get pictures of this setup once it works). finally yea dude there isn't a truss rod anywhere on this guitar, hopefully i wont have to adjust any bow.

Keepem comin I like questions.

The maple looks good, although the area at the bottom of the fretboard looks like it could do with a little care and attention to tidy it up. The heel to body transition could be blended into the cutaways a little smoother also. That looks like a ripe project for an oil finish.

Sup guys. Prostheta I'm with you, I hope it can take the strain too but the carbon fiber seems really strong so it should hold.

I'm also worried about the magnets. I couldn't think of any better ways and hopefully nothing will be effected but I'll keep you posted.

As for the fretboard its maple from lmii if I remember correctly. I've been working on smoothing it all out and making it flow better and I have actually been thinking about what finish to use. I want something strong that brings out the figure in the grain and I was leaning towards a dull coat so I'd love suggestions.

About the neck when I compared it to my brothers ibanez it seemed thinner than the wizard. And no there isn't carbon fiber between the neck and the fretboard. I would have liked to but woven carbon-fiber like that isn't cheap so I decided against it. Thanks guys peace out.

What about screws? If there's not enough wood behind the pickup to direct mount it and you don't want to put mounting rings on, you could bring the screws in from the back.

Or you could direct mount with machine screws with nuts on the other side sunk into the wood so that they didn't stick out.

What about screws? If there's not enough wood behind the pickup to direct mount it and you don't want to put mounting rings on, you could bring the screws in from the back.

Or you could direct mount with machine screws with nuts on the other side sunk into the wood so that they didn't stick out.

+1

Danelectro did this on a lot of their guitars and it worked out nice. Slightly countersink the screws and run them through the back of the guitar. You're going to find that magnets holding the pickups in will be about as affective as building a neck without a truss rod! :D

I thought about screws and I will have them , they will just have magnets on the ends of them. As for worries about a truss rod and magnets I'm just going for it, after all there is a whole thread on there about how a skunk-striped carbon fiber guitar is impossible so I can't listen to everybody :D