Walnut & White Limba Lpjr

It's finally time to start working on the LPjr. Here's the rundown:

2 piece walnut body

1 piece white limba neck, 25.5" scale, inlays undetermined (probably dots)

Gibson P-100 bridge pup

chrome hardware

1 vol, 1 tone, wraparound bridge

PRS 'One' style contouring

black or tortoise pickguard

So here's where I'm at right now. I have the body & neck woods nailed down, but I'm undecided on the fretboard. Here are the choices...

yellowheart

options1.jpg

bocote

options2.jpg

Guyana rosewood with sapwood

options3.jpg

cocobolo

options4.jpg

granadillo

options5.jpg

Thoughts & opinions?

This will be my first neck I'm really excited and scared to death. My woodworking instinct is to do something fancy. I'm intentionally doing the neck for this guitar first so I'll HAVE to keep it simple. I'm sure to be extremely tentative and ask a zillion questions, so brace for impact.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the Bocote, since it has some colors similar to both the limba and the walnut, plus it's own unique grain that would look good on a fingerboard.

edit: Or if you have enough extra walnut you could use it for the fretboard too. Or if you have extra limba, use it and ebonize it.

Edited by Keegan

I choose bocote.

Good luck with the neck John. Don't worry too much. Making necks isn't really all that bad but it makes the build take quite a lot longer to make.

As long as you keep reading melvyns book and and ask questions on this forum if you are unsure about anything then you should be fine.

Nice wood choices by the way.

imho juniors should be kept simple so i would stick to a plainer wood. the coco or grenadillo appeal most as they are mostly one colour but still nicely figured or striped

I've been thinking exactly along those lines, but with the yellowheart. The problem with the yellowheart and granadillo is that they don't match up well as a whole. The YH is great with the walnut, but not the limba. The gran is the opposite. I don't want anything bold, but it needs to match color-wise.

I asked the wife about it last night. She's great for bouncing opinions off of because she has a completely different perspective and can articulate the reasons for her opinions. She feels the other side of the guyana rosewood is best because of the color variations - it has the tones of both the other woods so it ties them together.

Right now, I'm centering on the cocobolo or the rosewood.

I've been reading Hiscock's descriptions of the neck building process over and over for a few weeks now. Last night I started a checklist/order of operations taken directly from his steps. This is going to be a really big adventure for me because I'm usually not very meticulous in the detail I put into things. A neck needs that attention to detail.

Now I need to go to Lowes/Home Depot for a sheet of MDF to make the template from.

go for the tilt back john. do a scarf!!!

i did it on my first guitar when i had much less wood working experience than you!! in truth its probably the best bit of that first guitar. 3x3 headstocks without an angle are a mistake.

the string tree issue will become apparent.

The string trees aren't an issue for me. I was figuring that eliminating the scarf would be one less thing to do. I'm trying hard to keep mt first neck as simple as humanly possible.

With that in mind, what do y'all think is harder: a scarf or a Fender-style? I'll go with whatever the consensus thinks is the easiest.

i actually think scarf is easier because of the problems it solves. i have always done scarfs with a handsaw and a little time planing to get it to fit right.

honestly - you can do better than i did on my first and that is preferable to a fender style neck with 3 a side tuners

i actually think scarf is easier because of the problems it solves. i have always done scarfs with a handsaw and a little time planing to get it to fit right.

honestly - you can do better than i did on my first and that is preferable to a fender style neck with 3 a side tuners

Now I want to put a thin little lam of walnut in the scarf.

[internal struggle]Gotta... keep it... simple.[/internal struggle]

I agree with the scarf joint because of stability. This is my first attempt at neckbuilding, I got past the scarf joint. If I can pull that off without a jointer, you most definately will too. Think about the satisfaction you're gonna have after the scarf joint.. awesome man, AWESOME!

C'MON - DO IT! :D

Edit:

Regarding the thin lam in the joint, don't feel like you have to do that now.. I'd lam the headstock instead, body being walnut it'll be sweet. That is, if I'm not mistaken bout the body being walnut.

Edited by Cactus

I spent over an hour yesterday trying to figure out how to get a 13-degree scarf cut into the wood when the tools all come at it from the wrong direction. With a fantastic amount of jiggery, I managed to cobble together a prototype that will do it. Now I just need to make it bigger & more sturdy.

How do y'all manage to do it without sawing it by hand?

I spent over an hour yesterday trying to figure out how to get a 13-degree scarf cut into the wood when the tools all come at it from the wrong direction. With a fantastic amount of jiggery, I managed to cobble together a prototype that will do it. Now I just need to make it bigger & more sturdy.

How do y'all manage to do it without sawing it by hand?

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=30212

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...mp;hl=scarf+jig

Loads of information on that second one.

I just built a new adjustable scarf jig for my bandsaw to replace the fixed one that was too limiting. Super easy to do: just get a good, flat base (I used ply), another piece of ply for the fence, some leftover t-track from another jig, a couple knobs, a hardwood runner for the bandsaw's miter gauge slot, and a couple knobs.

scarfjig.jpg

I built one of those U-shaped ramps, very similar to this:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186192

I cut the neck blank using a bandsaw, and a lot of cussing after. I figured that the router-jig would take care of all uneveness, which it did.. but I still needed to sand the glue surfaces somewhat. I think I need to refine the jig.. but thats a future project.

.. I assume that, if you got a good jointer you can probably do without that jig. Or maybe make a jig for the jointer to smooth out the scarf.. :D