Veneered Carved Top, Back, And Sides!

So, ya'll have seen my veneered carve top work... but I'm going a little balls to the wall on this current build. I carved a top into a solid swamp ash body, veneered the top with flamed maple, the back with santos rosewood... and here's the kicker... I even veneered the SIDES with santos rosewood using a method I've been working on. To my knowledge this is the first electric to have its sides veneered! As you can see in the pictures, the veneer on the sides doesn't go all the way to the top/back... but fear not, it will be getting bound soon and those gaps will disappear! :D

topveneeredsides.jpg

backveneeredsides.jpg

It looks like rosewood... but what is this gorgeous swamp ash sound doing there?!?!??!

Chris

PS: This is the same guitar I used in my carving video... so you KNOW it's swamp ash under there!

Sure, it's just like any other veneering in a vacuum bag except that you DON'T wanna use a platen, but instead just put the guitar in and everything closes around it, with the bag meeting in the center of the sides. With a platen the bag isn't flexible enough and you don't get a good glue-up at the bottom of the sides.

Chris

It's getting a cari-burst, and has fish (moorish idols) swimming up the fretboard... a very tropical theme... so no paua needed to bring out some blues and greens, the stain should do just fine :D

As for the thickness, yes, it is 1.5" at the side of the body, but also have a 9/16" carve. So overall the body is a little over 2" thick in the center.

Chris

ooooh that sounds fantastic! Hopefully the back and sides are going to be clear...

Now lemme get this.. You got side-grain veneer? Do they even make that? Or is that part of your secret method....?

It's going to look great, Chris, can't wait to see it done. Any other specs that are a definite?

Side grain veneer? I don't follow you? There's only one type of veneer as far as grain goes... since making end-grain veneer would be pointless and would fall apart. But no, nothing hidden or fancy about my technique, just normal old veneer. I didn't however mention that when vacuum clamping, you need some sort of "caul" to distribute pressure or else where the bag meets you'll have no pressure and get bubbles... I use cork and a sheet of foil between the cork and the body so the cork doesn't get glued on too.

I just routed the binding channels so I thought this would be a great photo op again. Someone requested pictures in Natural Light... I didn't think the college freshman's beer of choice was a good solvent to pop the grain for pictures... but I did take some pics outside :D

channeledtop.jpg

channeledback.jpg

And here is the fish fretboard I was referring to:

CaribbeanInlay.jpg

Chris

PS: That's just water marking on the top and back from when I was bending the veneer for the sides, it will go away easily.

PPS: Yes, I know that the binding channel on the top is deeper than that on the back. The top is 1/4" and the bottom is 3/16", strange, I know, but I wanted the top binding to be larger.

Edited by verhoevenc