scalloped necks

MikeB

scalloped or not, that is the question!!  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

never tried em, but i wanna try one out badly..

THEY LOOK SO COOL!!

They do certainly look cool, but it seems they would be a bit weird to play. Theres a great tutiorail, in the main section, if you want to try "them out so badly" B)

But I'm sure you know its there :D

i really dont know. there is tax on stuff i think, but i really must find out! id not mind the smaller wire for my next guitar, as the bigger gaps for fingers would be good at the high end, mine will have a few extra frets :D well i gotta sleep!

cya

mike

Guest AlexVDL

Scalloped necks look cool and play better IMO (planing the neck for a new fretjob is a bitch though)

I would like to have scalloped frets on all my guitar necks, but I don't want to screw up my expensive gibson and other nice inlaid necks :D

i played a neck once that was half scalloped. i mean it was scalloped on the top 3 strings and not on the bass strings. it was nice for chords and for solos, but i thought it looked weird. i prefer tall frets, dunlop 6105's. i am in the process of scalloping a MIM strat neck though, just to see if i can do it. so far just the 18-22 are done, the wider it gets, the harder it is becoming to do.

i know i know... patience grasshopper patience. :D

Speedy McFeely Posted on Dec 29 2003, 12:36 PM

i played a neck once that was half scalloped. i mean it was scalloped on the top 3 strings

yea, these are almost as good as a full scallop and look good. i always worry about having to do a refret!

• 2 weeks later...
but being realistic, how often do you refret a guitar? exactly

scalloped fingerboards OWN

Depends on how you play. I've heard that some, every two years. Anyway, the point is moot for me, 'cause I'm getting me some stainless steel fretwire! :D

so am I.......... i hope!!

B)

Roman

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished scalloping frets 11-22 on my GRX20, and strung it up. Never played a more comfortable neck in my life o.O I love the vibrato too! If i like it enough, i'll go ahead and do this to my bass, and my RG250DX :D

• 3 weeks later...

half scallops that get deeper as you go down the neck.. i like my chord work to be tight and in tune.. for leads i can concentrate on my control more and zipity do da all around the fret board.. i start around the 8th fret and just hardly get the g string in there. as it goes down the neck it gets deeper and wider. till all the frets are done...

also on that note.. i have had several guiatrs that i have completely scalloped and although i love it to death.. i also dont' have many necks that can stand up to the abuse i put them through with 16's. so my full scallops have to stick with 12's. anything less and i can snap them with my vibratto. lol no more 10's