Bass Project

I'd like to show my favourite project - it's a neckthrough bass with Yamaha RBX body style and with Tobias Classic neck style.

Also i've decieded to use standard 19mm bridge spacing here and wider fingerboard.

Specs:

5 string

34" scale

24 frets

48mm nut width

19 mm bridge string spacing

golden hardware

Neck:

maple/bubinga/maple/bubinga/maple/bubinga/maple 7 piece neck

Curly Madagascar Ebony fingerboard

2-way truss rod + 2 carbon rods

"gold" LMII fretwire

Body:

40 mm thick

zebrawood/wenge/sapele/wenge/zebrawood wings

Hardware, electronics:

Hipshot A style bridge

Hipshot tuners

2x Nordstrand dual coils pickups

custom built preamp with 3 band EQ and middle frequency switch.

Here is the neck wood:

2.jpg

And the fingerboard wood:

5.jpg

The neck blank:

4.jpg

And rough cut right wing :D :

3.jpg

Neck blank and wings together:

6.jpg

Then i leveled the neck blank and routed the wings with template (it's not a fingerboard there, just scrap wood):

7.jpg

I'm going to give the shape to headstock next week (it'll be Tobias style) but before i've tapered the fingerboard and cutted fret slots :

8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Wow, I haven't seen you around in a long time. Welcome back and that's a great return if I ever saw one! It's been a while since I remember that people thought you were crazy for painting over that 7-string F-style guitar and hell, those rasps!

How come you weren't able to build for a while? You've got an excellent level of skill and it's a shame seeing that going unused :-)

Wow, I haven't seen you around in a long time. Welcome back and that's a great return if I ever saw one! It's been a while since I remember that people thought you were crazy for painting over that 7-string F-style guitar and hell, those rasps!

How come you weren't able to build for a while? You've got an excellent level of skill and it's a shame seeing that going unused :-)

Thanks!

It's not possible to make a living by building custom guitars in Russia so i was very active building guitars during my study in the university, but after that i got a job. Now i don't have regular access to the shop and can rarely do something in my apartments. Maybe in future things will change.

ScottR, H.neckel013, ajax - thanks!