Project Marylin

This is an attempt at a Vigier Marylin style guitar. The project is waiting on finish. I am going to do a bright yellow stain with tru-oil.

Vigier built some inspiring guitars in the 80's. My personal favorites were the Arpege and the Marylin. I doubt I will ever find a real Marylin on eBay. So time to build one... I was not able to build the carbon fiber neck so I used wood. I also changed the scale length to 25.5. This was a mistake as this guitar should have been a 24.75 , I managed to pop through the back while drilling between pickups and tear out during the tremolo route. Well I guess that is why I haven't finished it yet.

Neck : Maple/Zebra Wood

Fretboard : Pau Ferro

Scale : 25.5

Frets : 24

Trussrod : Warmoth

Body : Flamed Maple Top/Padauk wings

Tuners : Gotoh Tuners

Pickups : Vintage Ibanez Artcore pickups

Bridge : Ibanez Tremolo

Electronics : Undecided...

th_100_2219.jpg

th_100_2221.jpg

Originally had Schaller locking tuners for this project but they were too heavy. I am now moving to plain Gotoh tuners as the tremolo is not very usable. I would not recommend the tremolo for rock players. It is fine for light work but never gets close to returning to tune with a dive bomb.

• 1 year later...

I love that shape, the wood and the finish. To me it seems like the neck pickup is really close to the bridge pickup, but that might be the tones you're after. I'm just completing the finish for my first guitar using Tru-Oil over stain, and I've just been applying it slowly using bare fingers. I've coated mine 8 times (leaving about 8 hours in between coats) and I've hardly used half of a bottle, and the finish looks great. It's not perfectly smooth since you can still see some of the grain of the wood in the finish, but that might have been my inadequate finish sanding. Nice job, it looks great.

I love that shape, the wood and the finish. To me it seems like the neck pickup is really close to the bridge pickup, but that might be the tones you're after. I'm just completing the finish for my first guitar using Tru-Oil over stain, and I've just been applying it slowly using bare fingers. I've coated mine 8 times (leaving about 8 hours in between coats) and I've hardly used half of a bottle, and the finish looks great. It's not perfectly smooth since you can still see some of the grain of the wood in the finish, but that might have been my inadequate finish sanding. Nice job, it looks great.

vm6lfa4.jpg

It is a __middle___ pickup. Not a Neck Pickup. Intentional. I may do it again...

Use nitrite gloves instead of your bare hands. What seems harmless enough now might not be later in life.

Grain fill before Tru-oil. Tru-oil is very thin and will not fill the grain without sanding while applying and leaving the slurry. After you have stained you really can't sand the top so grain fill has to be done first.

I get it about the pickup now, thanks. As for my own grain filling, I was under the impression that maple did not require grain filling, so I didn't. My build uses a sitka spruce back and maple top, and the spruce looks perfectly smooth with the Tru-Oil, and the maple not quite as smooth.

I get it about the pickup now, thanks. As for my own grain filling, I was under the impression that maple did not require grain filling, so I didn't. My build uses a sitka spruce back and maple top, and the spruce looks perfectly smooth with the Tru-Oil, and the maple not quite as smooth.

Maple doesn't need grain fill...but on highly figured grain it takes a bit more finish to make it all smooth. Sorry misinterpreted your post.

IMHO 8 Coats is not enough... and is more like just getting started. I forgot how many coats I used but it was enough that I built a spray booth and switched to Target Coatings EM6000 lacquer instead of going through the Tru-Oil process again.