My Latest, A Washburn N4 Replica

This is the fifth guitar I've done (two from scratch, three using neck or body pre-made). I don't think I've ever actually put one of my builds on here before so I may as well do it now.

Alder body (a factory castoff from Washburn--slipped router on back trem cavity)

Maple neck with some cool flame and simulated Stephen's Extended Cutaway

Ebony fretboard and ebony binding which hides the fret ends (that was an accident)

original Floyd Rose

Dimarzio Steve's Special in bridge

SD '59 in neck

mini toggles for phase reversal and series/parallel

Tru-oil on neck and Minwax Tung oil finish on body

N4bodyraw.jpg

N4neckblank2.jpg

N4fullfront3.jpg

N4backneck.jpg

N4fullfront.jpg

That's a really interesting bolt-on! Are all washburns like that, or did you come up with it on your own? How's it hold up? does it feel solid?

Nope, that's a Nuno thing. I personally wouldn't trust it :D Just doesn't look stable enough.

How is the Steve's Special? I'm thinking about getting one for my new project, and a leftover PAF Pro in the bridge.

It's actually a Stephen's thing!

Stephen's Stringed Instruments . . .

:D

Correct-amundo. He developed the extended cutaway for the Washburn Nuno Bettencourt signature models in the late 80s or early 90s. They made an acoustic version too believe it or not. Then Stephens put out his own line of instruments; strat and tele models, with the same cutaway. Washburn still uses the cutaway for the Nuno line of guitars (except the cheaper imports, which have a regular 4 bolt joint).

The five bolt joint on this guitar is very stable. No movement at all. And I can see that it affects the tone in a negative way either. Obviously it's stable enough for a guy that has toured quite a bit in the last couple of decades.

It's not for everybody though, that's for sure. I don't know if any other visible players use the Nuno models. But I like this one a lot. Nice and lightweight.

I failed to mention that I put carbon fiber rods in the neck at the suggestion of some guys here. It really seems to have a nice tonal quality, although I'll never know what it sounded like without them :D . But for the little extra effort to put them in, I think it's something I'll do in future builds as well.

Why bother with the bolt on? I guess to ease travel and refrets....

I know Leo did it to reduce cost in production.

I personally prefer set necks

bolts ons are just as valid. Personally i prefer them over set necks but really like through necks best.

sure, it was originally a cost cutting measure - but it shouldnt be seen as just that now

personal preference is all

bolts ons are just as valid. Personally i prefer them over set necks but really like through necks best.

sure, it was originally a cost cutting measure - but it shouldnt be seen as just that now

<hijack>

I understand that if you are flying guys like Yngwie take the neck of the guitar... I guess it helps with the Lonnie Mack (I think he has broken the headstock off his V 100 times) broken headstock thing.

</hijack>

Sorry I forgot to compliment you on a wonderful job. Back in the day i wanted an N4 and I must say this one is much nicer than an original.

My two favs are neck-thru and deep tenon set neck but I like a good bolt in guitar from time to time =)

Sorry I forgot to compliment you on a wonderful job. Back in the day i wanted an N4 and I must say this one is much nicer than an original.

Thank you for the compliment. I don't know if it's nicer than the original but it's certainly much less expensive, which is mostly why I built it. Washburn N4s go for around $1900 US now and this one is in the under-$500 range. Much easier to swallow :D .