New Pickup for 7-string

antique_dream

Here's the deal:

I have an ibanez s7420. When I play on the low B, it tends to get muddy. I think it's because the body is mahogany. Is there a pickup I can get that will brighten up the sound? Right now the stock pickups are still on it. Also, I don't know if active pickups are an option because the control cavities are so small in the s guitars, there wouldn't be room for a battery.

Also, I have another question: Does anyone know if the s series guitars use a standard 5-way switch for the "special wiring". It looks like a normal switch, but it might not be.

-thanks

Have a look at the capacitor(s) soldered to your tone pot(s). The standard cap that most manufacturers use for humbuckers is rated at .047 ufarads, single coils normally come with .022 ufarads. You can brighten your output by installing a different value capacitor. If I'm not mistaken, the lower cap value results in more bypass of high frequency, so a bigger value cap should take some of the muddiness away, ie. allow more highs to bleed thru in your output.

A higher cap value will bypass more high frequency so a lower one would be better, but you have an idea that's worth trying. In the same vein, you could try changing the volume pot to a 1M. That would also brighten up the sound a bit. And I also think that the EVO7 makes sense with its emphasis on the mids and treble. I'm not familiar with the configuration of the switch though.

what guage strings do you use?

so it is not your strings then, so yeah, it's the pups. just my opinion, i really like the duncan 7 string pups. try them out if you get the chance. i did one time at a music shop and they rock.

EMG pups used to be my fav, i have an 81 in an axe. most of my fav bands use them w/ 5150 heads too. i really like that tone, but it is used so much. i finally came across some duncans and i don't know, they just sounded more natural [more harmonics] then the EMGs. now i am a duncan lover.

what i wrote sounds wierd doesn't it. give me a break dudes i'm tired. :D

so it is not your strings then, so yeah, it's the pups. just my opinion, i really like the duncan 7 string pups. try them out if you get the chance. i did one time at a music shop and they rock.

EMG pups used to be my fav, i have an 81 in an axe. most of my fav bands use them w/ 5150 heads too. i really like that tone, but it is used so much. i finally came across some duncans and i don't know, they just sounded more natural [more harmonics] then the EMGs. now i am a duncan lover.

have you tried the 85 in the bridge,page?i just dids that in my carved top and the harmonics are awesome.not to mention the fluidity of the lead tone

so that's what pup it is. no i haven't actually, infact i have never heard an 85 before, only 81 and S. i shall try it when i become rich. EMG's cost about AU$100 more than Duncan's. :D

so that's what that pup is in your axe.

no i haven't actually, infact i have never heard an 85 before, only 81 and S and SA. i shall try it when i become rich. EMG's cost about AU$100 more than Duncan's. i suppose my statement was just a little bias. :D

• 4 weeks later...

try flipping the pickups so that the current treble side of the pickup is now on the bass side.. this always helps me..

also you can do the mod that i sent to the projectguitar tutorial section. it is a blend pot so you can vary the tone on your axe instead of rolling off straight high end..

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/blendmod.htm