Rest In Peace Les Paul

Wow...it´s been almost a year already. I work as an English teacher down here in Mexico. When we introduce a new subject, we use a short story to introduce new vocabulary and new structures. They are normally very simple stories, and sometimes, the authors make pop culture references, such as "Brad and Angelina" or something similar. I was introducing a subject today, about some guys working on a design software. I started the story with something along these lines:

"The story is called ´Office trouble´. Two colleagues are talking about the delay on the software they are working on. This is Les, and this is Paul."

I just had to smile, you know?

Edited by MexicanBreed
  • 2 months later...

You know what's funny, he was featured on 'American Masters' (on cable TV), and after watching that show, I realized that the invention of the Les Paul guitar, in all honesty, was probably one of the LEAST of his achievements when looked at in scale and context to everything he did in his long career.

Seriously, there's not enough room on the page to lay out all the things Les Paul did in his lifetime, it's almost ridiculous what he filled a life with, what a Monster human being, guitar player, inventor, innovator, competitor, collector, hit maker, etc. he really was.

He literally started his career shortly after the freaking dawn of radio for chrissakes

He Jammed as a jazz guitarist at night with almost every well-known famous NY based jazz musician

that you've ever heard of, ...like ALL the Legends of Jazz Music, while still a young gunslinger in his 20's

At the same time holding down a daytime job as a Country Music radio guitar player

Guitar-Dueled with Charlie Christian

Held a stint playing with the Andrew Sisters

Soloed on one of Bing Crosby's biggest hits following the end of WWII

Had a Long String of Number One hits w/ Mary Ford and became a famous celebrity guitarist

Then, somewhere in there, had his right arm ripped apart in a car accident

They almost amputated it

And had to relearn how to play all over again, and came back stronger than ever

This Guy was Just Getting Started!

Afterwards...(IIRC)

Invented the art and science of Multi-Tracking completely by himself

(I think this invention ranks far more important than a solid wood guitar body)

Single-Handedly Invented the multi-tracked 'Guitar Orchestra'

where he played various guitars at different speeds performing different functions of the song

Gained full respect among musicians from just about every popular type of music out there

from Jazz to Blues to Country to whatever else for his Chops

THEN, somewhere along after ALL THAT...

...He invented the solidbody electric guitar (more or less)

The Les Paul Guitar is seriously almost a backwater episode in this man's lifetime of achievements.

And this is the Long Story Very Short version, there's a ton more in that life of his to talk about.

Wow, ...What a life to lead... :D

That's Les and me and my rebuilt LP Recording at the Iridium in NYC in my pic. He was quite a character: he would always want to trade his guitars for my LPR. Although some people have said "What?? are you crazy?" I was warned by his son and his road/ sound manager not to do it as you'd end up with some piece of crap. Ask him a question on electronics and he would discuss things such as though you knew what he was talking about; of course I hadn't a clue. He was an absolute genius.

• 2 weeks later...

just watching rubbish late night tv... and there is brandon flowers new group

oddly the guitarist was playing a 'les paul recording', but more odd was that they had a matching 'les paul recording bass'

never seen anyone other than LP play these things - - on tv anyway.

i just wonder why they decided on them. I would like to think it was because they were paying some tribute to Lester but i cant help but think its just because its a familiar but odd shape and they were happy that they could get all string players using it

its certainly not for the sound.... that bass needs an extra few inches of scale length to really be a successful design