How hard would it be to make one of these?

depends what the body is made of...from what i can see its all standard apart from the body..if you can get a broken violin for free then i think that you could make one if you had the equipment.....but it could be some kinda pricey material

hi, ive been reading the forum for a little bit now but this is my first time posting, but this topic peaked my intrest....would it be possible to build some sort of transducer pickup (such as this )into the brodge then cut the cord and solder on a 1/4" jack , that pickup can be found for about $40 american and if you have wood lying around you might be able to make most of the violin yourslef, but then again im extremely new to the building of any instrument so i may be totally wrong

hi, ive been reading the forum for  a little bit now but this is my first time posting, but this topic peaked my intrest....would it be possible to build some sort of transducer pickup (such as this )into the brodge then cut the cord and solder on a 1/4" jack , that pickup can be found for about $40 american and if you have wood lying around you might be able to make most of the violin yourslef, but then again im extremely new to the building of any instrument so i may be totally wrong

Hey! Welcome, member 991! 1000 soon! B)

Hmm... from the description:

Through use of a lead differential weight the Dean Markley peizo reacts through compression rather than just bending, like all other Peizo pickups.

and from where it's placed (on the instrument top vs. in/under the bridge as with other piezo systems) I'm going to guess it might not be optimal on a solid bodied violin. But it might be worth a shot for the price though :D.

i can't play violin, but i would love to build one in the future. my dad knows lots of people who work in auditoriums so they all play violins, violas, cellos and double basses and what not. apparently most violins are made from cedar. a lot of exotic timbers are difficult to obtain in these parts, except for Western Red Cedar. plus it is cheap! then i could sell them. B) that's pretty much why i want to build one. :D

Most violins (bodies) are actually made out of Spruce (top) with Maple used for the back and sides.

The reason Spruce is used is because it is strong along the grain but laterally flexible - the front or top of violins always has the grain going along the length instrument, enabling it to vibrate in the correct way. It's all to do with the way the body resonates and vibrates... which is very different for an electric violin.

For an electric violin it's a totally different storey - You're slapping wads of paint onto the wood of an electric violin (as opposed to thin layer of varnish on acoustic violins), using a pickup for the sound amplification (and added colouring!), not relying on just the body of the instrument, plus with most electric violin designs, there's so little wood there to vibrate/resonate, you could use just about whatever wood you wanted (within reason!) and it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to the *ahem* "tone" of the instrument.

So with that in mind, the costs for the body/neck should be virtually nil cos you probably have enough wood lying round as leftovers from other projects to cover them that is more than adequate quality. If not, it's still not going to be much of an expense. Fingerboards need to be a hard wearing wood (on cheaper violins it's usually stained rosewood or boxwood or cheap ebony but on better quality instruments good quality ebony is used) and again won't be a noticeable expense if your making it yourself.

Pots, knobs, jack and wiring should not come to much but added with the costs for pegs ($12), tailpiece ($10+), chinrest ($6+), Bridge ($4.50) and the pup ($130) will blow your budget (example prices just from stewmac). Plus unless your carving/machining skills are good, it will probably take alot more than $100 of your time to make the neck (if you want it like the one in the piccy - with a traditional scroll/peg box)...

To be profitable, I would use high quality components, make sure the quality control is tight, use good/interesting/unique designs and aim for the mid-range (£500 ish) market. I think only mass produced stuff using machines that are already set up and marketing that's already in place can possibly compete to sell this kind of thing profitably in the budget market.

Of course, that's only my opinion based on the "making-to-sell" mindset and I am in the UK - it could be a totally different scene in the USA?

cheers for the info dude. but yeah, most of the people in the auditorium have custom all australian cedar violins with ebony fingerboards. this seems to be their choice of tone woods.

14 posts. he must be one busy dude. :D

It's on eBay and they go for $165-176.

Handmade Solid Body Electric Violin

Quiet Violin when without amplification

Ceramic Peizo under bridge transducer.

Tone and Volume Controls are provided

Accessories are Rosewood

Rosewood tailpiece with finetuner.

Ebony fingerboard

This package includes a Deluxe type-80 Case with fiberglass bow, rosin, and a pitch pipe tuner.

Warranty One Year

Packaging, Shipping and Handling Continental USA 15.00

Here's the case:

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The highest it ever went for $191 shipped. I'm pretty sure I can't build a case like that, and how much are bows? I should probably just buy one.

getting back to topic. i dont think it really matters what the body is made out of on electric violins. I think its only for the shape that people are used to playing a violin with. The guy from the mahavishnu orchstra had one that only was some wire as a body. I think its all about the pickup and the neck.

yeah the suzuki guy died a couple years ago

that was before i quit the violin.

i was supposed to go to france with my violin group/orchestra for his 100th birthday festival but he died before.

i think the suzuki method is kinda dumb. you just learn to play everything by ear.

its good sometimes but i now i have to learn how to read...i just went through

the Fastrack guitar theory book yesterday.all 6 strings!(guitar that is)