Project "the Raven"

so over the past month I got a little bored waiting for parts and what not for my other projects that are on the go.

I decided that I was going to do some changes to the Raven that i started to notice that I didn't like about it.

Changes list:

I decided to reshaped the neck - made it thinner.

I didn't like the over all finish - stripped the poly off using EM6000 on it now.

change the pickup rings - this was do to the Wenge ones kept braking on me. to porous.

I decided to change the colour scheme. doing a Burst.

I also added the gold pickup cover to the neck pickup.

So here are some pics of it right now. it is in the finish stage right now so will have the final pics up soon.

just started final leveling and buffing polishing today.

IMG_1132.jpg

this is the mock up

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

Cheers

Woe, realy brought out the flame in the maple with this new finish man. cool.

Is that the brush on laquer or the spray version your using ?

Hey Paul Glade you like the look. This version that I'm using is both spray and brush use. I sprayed this guitar because of the almost 0% voc'S you can't smell anything after your finished a pass and it has less over spray I found.

Best part you get to clean your gun with Hot water. SWEET. oh and 100% hard in 150 hours of last coat.

definately looks a lot better but i reckon this finish would suit darker pickup rings (even though these are a more appropriate size :D )

I also find the green smudgy look in the middle a bit distracting, just shows how much better the stain and sandback has worked with the outer colour compared to the yellow in the midde, because it does look awesome everywhere except between the pickups and under the bridge (which clearly doesnt matter)

definately looks a lot better but i reckon this finish would suit darker pickup rings (even though these are a more appropriate size :D )

I also find the green smudgy look in the middle a bit distracting, just shows how much better the stain and sandback has worked with the outer colour compared to the yellow in the midde, because it does look awesome everywhere except between the pickups and under the bridge (which clearly doesnt matter)

it's not green at all it's just the pics. It looks like that because the curly maple that's there is roasted and picked up more of the black dye.

is that the waterbased finish you were writng me about Dave?

it looks nice!!!

yep and it's super easy to spray. I'm very impressed with the results.

If you want some you can get it from WOOD ESSENCE

Looks great! What colors/type of dye did you use on the burst?

just used aniline dyes. Used eboney black to pop the flame. Sanded back then lemon yellow with 1 drip of crimson red in it as the base. The used crimson red and the lemon yellow in different mixes to get the burst. Getting darker and darker.

not to sound snooty; but thats waaay better! :D

doesn't sound snooty at all. It's the truth.

I'm gonna say it again... I like it a lot better than it did before. Nice job man

Next time I finish a guitar I'm going to do it the way I want to. This was the original plan.

Thanks for the nice comment guys.