Project so far.

This is my pretty standard JEM cutout. No big whoop yet. the strat stylings are somewhat small for now. The back is planed and drying the glue. Tommorow I'll fix up my ugly dremeled monkey grip and cut out the back. here are the pics.

BTW guys. I just want to thank you for all of your support. watching my dream start to take shape is the best feeling i've gotten in several years. Thanks for putting up with my crap and allowing me to create this. or start to create it.

Yes i know that i need to get rid of that neck thing. It was what was on the JEM template. And I figured that i just better leave it on because I dont want to ruin anything. Besides I can always cut it out once things get a little more grounded in the design. AGAIN thank you all!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/481911

Looking Good Man!

Hey, an idea on that monkey grip: Have you tried using a file to get in there and straighten it out? It looks like you have most of the material out of there it just needs cleaning up. I do all sorts of odd "clean ups" with my files. They remove wood quickly and allow you to get in those tight corners. Just my 2 cents!

Keep at it!

thanks guys! I think this will turn out alright. It was pretty cool the guy the woodworkers shop built several guitars and made a multiple stain burst. So he told me an interesting method of putting the darkest color in a thin coat and leave it on for about a night and then sand the next day. So then You've got a dark background. then you wait a couple of days and do the same thing with the next lighter color. Then sand and then apply your final color and dont sand. then you put a clear on it and supposedly it works. I'm not sure if i can believe him but it sounds like it works. I mean he was an employee at the wood workers club so i guess he has a general idea. but i could be wrong. I'm going to experiment on crap wood before finishing my guitar. just thought i would throw the idea out there! :D

its 3/4 inch thick top flamed maple. and the back is flamed maple also 3/4 thick. It may sound thick for right now but I'm going to carve the two pieces like a strat but slightly different. Its not going to be that thick. As for the monkey grip I'm going to use the spindle sander to clean up most of it then I'll probably recut the outside non grip part with a scroll saw or something.

today i started contouring the edges like a strat. But I'm having some second thoughts and I'm thinking about binding the edges with the lighted acrylic idea........ but I'm not quite sure. Should I experiment with the strat style outer contouring (Jem has a flat outside where as the strat is curved) Still debating about the arm rest. I dont think I'm going to do it. What do you guys think? Binding or contours? Contours may be cleaner. Besides I'm using acrylic for headstock inlay and neck inlay.