Started building an electric today, need some help

Hello

I just joined here minutes ago, I started building an electric guitar this morning, but, where are my manners? My name is Curtis, I live in Ontario Canada and have been playing guitar for 2 years, anyways, I started building a Jackson RR5 replica this morning, I have been planning it out for over a month now, and finally got the chance to start building it at my neighbours wood working shop.

After I came home, I phoned my local and trusted guitar shop, asked bout a pricing for a generic 22 fret 6 string neck, i almost fell to the floor when he said 225 bucks starting price!!! I then found this website about building a neck.

Anyways, when i go to build a neck, can i take the back part, route the channel for the truss rod, then glue on the top peice, then the fret board? how do I route the truss rod? go deeper and deeper? or all the same? I am a newbie to this site, and to buildin guitars, so maybe a little help would be VERY much appreciatede

Thanks alot

Curtis

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you're using a double expanding truss rod then yes that would be the correct sequence, althouth make sure your fretboard is slotted before you glue it on the neck. a milling machine, a set of straight edge rails with a template bit.... or a truss rod template are all ways to rout the channel, it's narrow enough to do it in one pass, but muliple passes is always recommened.

Thanks alot

But, i was probaly going to get one at my local guitar shop, hopefully they aint too expensive like there necks, my god, also, a double expanding one is a straight channel with same amount of depth, correct?

Thanks alot, I didnt think this baord was this active

Curtis :D

Thanks alot, I didnt think this baord was this active

sometimes it is,soimetimes not...yes double expanding is a set depth.

i really like the hotrod because it is stainless and works very well,but i am sure there are others as good.they only take about 3 to 5 days to get your order to you,but if that is too long then i understand...it usually takes me that long to get the wood together and prepare the fretboard

Hello

I just joined here minutes ago, I started building an electric guitar this morning, but, where are my manners? My name is Curtis, I live in Ontario Canada and have been playing guitar for 2 years, anyways, I started building a Jackson RR5 replica this morning, I have been planning it out for over a month now, and finally got the chance to start building it at my neighbours wood working shop.

After I came home, I phoned my local and trusted guitar shop, asked bout a pricing for a generic 22 fret 6 string neck, i almost fell to the floor when he said 225 bucks starting price!!! I then found this website about building a neck.

Anyways, when i go to build a neck, can i take the back part, route the channel for the truss rod, then glue on the top peice, then the fret board? how do I route the truss rod? go deeper and deeper? or all the same? I am a newbie to this site, and to buildin guitars, so maybe a little help would be VERY much appreciatede

Thanks alot

Curtis

You can pick up a 22 fret bolt on from Carvin (www.carvin.com) for a little north of $100 (USD). For a first-timer, I'd highly recommend it over trying to build your own, but that's just my $.02.

well, i was really wanting to do a 24 fret, and, i figure we all have to start somewhere and somehow on building guitar parts, so i figured might as well build the neck, i get the wood fairly cheap, so i might as well try to make it work, i read something about radiusing the fretbaord? you have to put a slight curve on the fretboard?? am i correct?

Curtis

well, i was really wanting to do a 24 fret, and, i figure we all have to start somewhere and somehow on building guitar parts, so i figured might as well build the neck, i get the wood fairly cheap, so i might as well try to make it work, i read something about radiusing the fretbaord? you have to put a slight curve on the fretboard?? am i correct?

Curtis

yes you need it to be radiused to match the bridge you choose.floyds are 14"?

t.o.m.=10"

fender =9"?

fretting tools, what are they? i got acces to alot of tools for free, so, just let me know, and if they are available i will use them

By The Way, the reason i am being so persitant on building a neck, i am so short on cash, its not funny, thats why i want to build a neck, also, i want to have the guitar finished and playable in hopefully 3 weeks

Curtis

Yes, the last TOM (Schaller roller bridge) I installed was 12" radius. You can buy pre-rediused/preslotted fretboards. It depends on what floor you want to get on. You can start with flat rosewood, ebony or whatever stock and buy a radiused sanding block from StewMac as well. Whatever you do make sure you have fun and think it out.

Curtis

Well, you don't HAVE to have a radius. Classical guitars FB's are not radiused. The bridge you choose could be a limitation but there are always workarounds. TOM's can be filed to match the radius, floyds can be shimmed, etc.

i think my mind is playing tricks on me tonight!

who is 10"?gibson?yes gibson.i understand my confusion now.

my carved top has a gibson style 10" radius nut from stewmac,and i radiused the fretboard 10" and used a 10" radius schaller fixed bridge.i must have confused them in my mind with my carvin necked v...which has a t.o.m.

oh well....i have my moments :D

forgive me