Rickenbacker Inspired Bass

Stewey

I've been progressing along with this one. I kept forgetting to take photos though so I didn't bother to update the thread, I know how much you guys like photos. :D

Grain filled, primed and painted:

17042010107.jpg

Today I scraped back the binding, you can also see the electronics cavity here, I got a bit creative with the routing in the places where I want to mount the active electronics and the battery:

17042010109.jpg

I'll finish flattening the colour coat tomorrow and then lay on the clear. Leave it for the week to dry and hopefully buff it out next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have ordered some Rotosounds, they should be here during the week.

This weekend I got a few of the little bits done. Buffed out the clear coat, finished off the pickguards, got all the wiring together and installed most of the hardware.

2010-04-26%2015.28.21.jpg

I still need to slot the nut, make the truss rod cover, install the strap buttons and give the frets a look at.

If the strings turn up I can probably get this one finished next weekend. :D

if i may back pedal a bit here;

i'm interested in the neck join;

it appears like a set in design ala thru neck; that i understand; but did you clamp the edges and actually sqeeze the sides glued to the neck? cuz i like that!; seems like alot of extra work compared to just gluing a neck thru; but whats the thinking behind it? and am i even correct about what you did there

:D

Yeah that is a bit of checker plate around the bridge pup. The original has that metal cover over the bridge pup so I put something shiny there to give it a similar feel. I'll have more pics on the weekend.

Thanks guys, I am quite excited for how this one is turning out. :D

low end fuzz, that is exactly what I did. It was a bit of effort making the joint line up below the bridge area, I just kept skimming it off a bit until both sides clamped onto the neck blank square. The reasoning behind it was that I can source 2nd class guitar length neck through blanks rather cheaply. :D I also can't see it making any difference to the tone. The bridge mounts right on the end of the blank so everything along the string path is mounted to the same piece of timber, just like a proper neck through.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got the strings in and finished this one up this weekend.

_MG_2028.jpg

_MG_2033.jpg

_MG_2039.jpg

You may be able to see the scratches I've already put in the bridge pup from my vigorous picking. :D

Overall I'm quite happy with how she turned out. I'm a little disappointed with the first fret marker though, I only noticed it is off centre when I put the strings on, must have stuffed up the measuring, doh. Oh well, off to do some playing. :D

Thanks guys, I'm very happy with this one.

Great work - reminds me in style of DougK's white Firebird. Sweet!

I do have to say though - the diamondplate looks kludgey and changes the otherwise great balance.

I know where you are coming from Prostheta. I am already looking to acquire something to replace it with. I think I'll give plain aluminium a go next, all polished up to a mirror finish.

Do you reckon I should make the entire pickup surround out of al, or keep the black on chrome look, or just black?

Thanks guys, I'm very happy with this one.

Great work - reminds me in style of DougK's white Firebird. Sweet!

I do have to say though - the diamondplate looks kludgey and changes the otherwise great balance.

I know where you are coming from Prostheta. I am already looking to acquire something to replace it with. I think I'll give plain aluminium a go next, all polished up to a mirror finish.

Do you reckon I should make the entire pickup surround out of al, or keep the black on chrome look, or just black?

Fantastic bass, high impact, sleek, yep the bridge pup would look at home in an all black collar :D

• 10 months later...