Serious Question!

~davie

ilike to make cool effects. like a manual reverb. and others. :D

since when does a killswitch sound like a reverb ?

all a killswitch does is emulate the tremelo effect in an on/off sense as it has no control.

example >

a reverb is a totally different effect that sounds nothing like it...

I seriously want to know why do people have them or consider having them?

Killswitches on guitars that is.. :D

They like playing guitar but they don't like hearing themselves play... :D

damn, i was just watching videos on youtube of the killswitch in use.

seems pretty cool. lol i think i MIGHT make one later.

definitely has to be a momentary push button! :D

and yeah, to correct guitarkid, its NOT reverb. the best way to describe it would be to call it "signal chopping". or simply "chopping" LOL

the closest guitar effect to it, would be a tremolo effect

Edited by ~davie

There are various implementations of the kill switch idea. Les Paul users like Townsend have been using the technique for ages, simply turn say the neck pickup volume to zero and switch between that and the neck pickup on to create the effect.

The problem with a lot of push button kill switches like the one on my tele is that they can be counter-intuitive...pushing the button kills the sound...so you tend to feel like you are playing the silences rather than the sound on effect.

Players like Morello prefer the sound on thing and I can see why. I use it for a kind of rhythmic manual tremolo kind of effect on occasion, but really, it is a bit gimmicky to be used that often for anything that much IMHO

There are various implementations of the kill switch idea. Les Paul users like Townsend have been using the technique for ages, simply turn say the neck pickup volume to zero and switch between that and the neck pickup on to create the effect.

The problem with a lot of push button kill switches like the one on my tele is that they can be counter-intuitive...pushing the button kills the sound...so you tend to feel like you are playing the silences rather than the sound on effect.

Players like Morello prefer the sound on thing and I can see why. I use it for a kind of rhythmic manual tremolo kind of effect on occasion, but really, it is a bit gimmicky to be used that often for anything that much IMHO

very true

seems too much of a gimmick, constant use of it may start to seem monotonous. especially if u start using it in EVERY friggin' song. :D

I would describe a killswitch on a guitar as a "manual extreme tremolo". :D

Tremolo is where the volume level of something is modulated up and down. Guitars have bridges that are traditionally called "tremolos", but that is an incorrect use of the word. They are in fact a vibrato system, not a tremolo. :D

Edited by Paul Marossy

I forgot to add that what is traditionally called "vibrato" on many old amps is actually a tremolo. Vibrato is when you vary the pitch of something, as in when a violin or cello player does vibrato on a string. Or when a guitarist bends the string up and down a little bit.

if you want a unique "kill switch" try using something like a gate with a secondary input on it. say from your drummer or another instrument.

or just a random oscillator but then your basically using a source controlled tremolo. personally i would much rather just keep my starburst in my guitar. 555 oscillator running in free oscillation mode push pull pot witih a resistor network on the output and a led on top to see the freq of it and you can use it to disconnect the guitar from the output jack and put in the oscilator if you get your levels right you can use it as a cool effect. and once nice thing for those of us that are sans whammy bars you can set this note up to be the last note in your lick hit your lick and pull this pot up and spin the knob and you have an instant dive bomb push it back in real quick and no one is the wiser. i used to do this live with a bunch of delay like vai has his set up. 1.5 seconds into 3 seconds and we did a real nice sound on sound harmonizing track live.

if you build one there is a on line calculator that you can use to set the freq range. i use a 250k-500k pot and set it from around 40hz to 10khz or so.

hope ya'll like it.

If you find a regular killswitch's releasing to play each note counter-intuitive...

Wire two pushbuttons, one Normally Open and one Normally Closed , in series,

side-by-side in a covenient location.

Push and hold the Normally Open button, with the side of your thumb, to silence your guitar,

then gate notes on using any convenient finger on the Normally Closed button.

Release both buttons to play normally.

Using thumb-and-middle-finger on the buttons,

you can do this without letting go of a plectrum!

Edited by elmo7sharp9

bluetelekill1.jpg

My tele has a secret micro-kill-switch...and a sustainer too!

You can't really see it without that bright flash to show it up and I forget it's there. But I use it as a kind of manual tremolo occasionally on held chords and such. Put it on because I could and for fun!

bluetelekill1.jpg

My tele has a secret micro-kill-switch...and a sustainer too!

You can't really see it without that bright flash to show it up and I forget it's there. But I use it as a kind of manual tremolo occasionally on held chords and such. Put it on because I could and for fun!

hey psw, can u make a video or post a vid of you demoing your tele, it seems interesting :D

I've got a micro kill switch on two of my guitars as well. I wish they had a shorter 'throw', in that it was a shorter distance to press down before it latches, so I can do the kill-switch thing faster. I've been meaning to take one of the switches apart to see if I can mod it to do that. I've also thought about using old game controller buttons for kill-switches, since they are meant to be pressed very fast.