How Do You Reverse An Ibanez Headstock?

hi! me and my friend and luthier is customizing my ibanez.

I really love Chris Broderick's guitar but couldnt afford to buy parts to make a custom guitar so I am going to use my

old rg7420 which has an edge pro trem installed.

he has suggestions on how to reverse the headstock but I doubt it will make the headstock look ugly.

he will cut the upper and lower part of the headstock and reverse it and cover the holes of the tuners in the upper with wood.

but I want to know suggestions from you guys

since you are more knowledgeble =)

sorry for my english...

I'd say its a horrible idea to do it AT ALL...

yeah I know its a horrible idea and buying a reverse/ left handed neck will cost me shipping off $$...

perhaps a professional luthier can give some inputs?

I mean "the customer is always right"

Edited by jcbakz

A "Pro" luthier does not know any more than we know. It is a bad idea, and will not work, it has an angle on it... It woudl be a backwards angle if you try to do that. The only wya to do ti woudl be to cut along the scarf, and add a whole new scarf and make a new headstock all together.

I'd say its a horrible idea to do it AT ALL...

yeah I know its a horrible idea and buying a reverse/ left handed neck will cost me shipping off $$...

perhaps a professional luthier can give some inputs?

I mean "the customer is always right"

first off if you know its a horrible idea then you should try to come up with another solution

secondly a pro luither is gonna want money to touch it and well aparently you arent willing to spend that money (i understand not having it to spend)

i would sugest leaving it alone until you can do it right.

It's a bad idea , thats been established. Despite that - there are ways of doing it, ie; cut the HS off and add a new one.

I have 3 guitars that had the HS snapped right off. I added a new HS to them and have had no issues with ANY of them. We all glue wood together to make guitars , so - yes, its a bad idea , and YES - it CAN be done.

My Vai - vine-of-life with a 3x3 HS says its do-able.

I agree with the buy a proper lefty neck and sell yours off to make up the difference. But if a sledgehammer just happens to fall on it and snaps off your headstock , you have a solution ......

he has suggestions on how to reverse the headstock but I doubt it will make the headstock look ugly.

he will cut the upper and lower part of the headstock and reverse it and cover the holes of the tuners in the upper with wood.

Besides that it has been established it was a bad idea, I just want to point out what you wrote above. First if your friend is the expert going from that statement find a better friend as it is impossible to just reverse an existing HS without making a new headstock or doing a chop job and adding enough wood to re shape it. I think what is missing is a basic understanding of guitar building or woodworking in general.

So it may be cheaper to just buy the new neck because when you finish making a mess on this one it will not be worth what it is now thats for sure, even if you manage to somehow pull it off..IMO