Doubleneck Finally Starting!

been planning this one for a while, and now i am finally starting it

this is about the 5th design revision and i think i am getting somewhere, i make no apologies for the wood pics that may come in this thread

the design as it stands now:

plan-1.jpg

The chevrons in the pics show where i think the quilted maple should be

Necks

5 piece maple and purpleheart

Matching macasser ebony fretboards

flamed maple binding

34" bass, 25 1/2" 12 string

Quilt maple headstock facing

Body wings/centre

flamed black limba

purpleheart

highly quilted maple

Bass electrics

2 x thunderbird pickups ??

2 x vol

1x tone

series/parallel switch??

12 string electrics

2 x humbucker sized pickups

2 x vol

1 x tone

3-way toggle switch

series/parallel switch??

both electrics

3-way toggle for bass/both/12 string ??

XLR output

splitter pedal to guitar jacks

Finish

Alembic style oceanburst

trip_electronicsbig.jpg

will just show the top wood for now

Planed face

wez079Small.jpg

whole set:

wez085Small.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Wez

FWIW - I have to agree with Chris, the Oceanburst does not excite me on this.

Also, the bass bridge looks too close to what Alembic would call their 'Omega' cutout. To make this feature look right takes one hell of a roundover, around 18mm from the 2d plan drawing I'd guess (I'd go measure mine but I'm sitting in the lounge at the Budapest Intercontinental swigging Champers and checking out the scenery down by the Danube :D ).

The finish is just an opinion and, knowing how carefully you design your guitars, I'm sure you've considered the bridge/roundover thing so I look forward to being told to get stuffed!

Looking forward to progress on this.

Cheers

Buter

actually you have a point with omega, might need to move that neck up a bit further. getting the ass end of this thing right is taking a while

here is an earlier version:

XL804280.jpg

the ocean burst isnt my choice but i think it will work well with the woods, alembic quite often do it over purpleheart - i know i will loose the purple colour but that does not bother me one bit. however, the final colour is a long way off decided

the black limba does not have overly strong black and no orange streaks anywhere, mostly olivey colour all the way through.... but what it does have is a great even flame. I think it will quite suit the oceanburst

limba.jpg

and fretboards, which do actually have a bookmatched face, but one is flipped over on the photo

limba2.jpg

limba3.jpg

Holy crap wez. where did you find that maple :D

from andy fellows, sells on ebay as prime timbers

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Prime-Timbers__W0QQ_armrsZ1

but worth emailing him as he has a massive stock of figured maple and very little on the ebay store, and his saw is great.... the pic of the whole set is still 'rough' sawn

This set is a 3.5mm thick rib set with each piece about 8" wide. sadly not long enough for two guitars but i should get the headstock and cavity covers out of this and maybe another set of through neck wings if i am lucky.

the doubleneck had to be justified and actually practical for me to want to do it. The 12 string will be used for intros and middle 8s from the bassist whilst the 2nd guitarsist handles the rest of the guitar duties... but at this stage the owner still has chance to change that, for another few days at least

the plan is to concentrate on the neck sections and actually get them playable/test fitted before working on the wings and centre section, which will be largely chambered/swiss cheesed

from the classified here a while back iirc, along with the ebony fretboards and a couple of ebony neck blanks. all perfectly quartered and straight - best batch of wood i have had from a forum - cant remember who sold it though :D

the limba isnt a bookmatch but might as well be, and there is enough for at least 3 tops 1" thick (or backs in this case)

limba1.jpg

I like the first design way better than the second, the bridge placement is fine.

Suggestion for next project :D

i2ug61.jpg

That thing isn't real is it!!??!!

I also like your first design over the second one. It looks more intensional.

Edited by MuffinPunch

That thing isn't real is it!!??!!

I also like your first design over the second one. It looks more intensional.

Yep it's real, a friend from the Gold Coast sent me that photo yesterday, it's from an artist's exhibition on there at the moment, it does look great doesn't it :D.

• 2 weeks later...

big pile of wood:

wood.jpg

the main body lams:

thickness1.jpg

just trying to decide how to get the most out of them and what thickness to go for, my favorite:

thickness2.jpg

some other options:

thickness4.jpg

thickness3.jpg

roughly sketched the shape ontot the top and back with some offcuts from the necks to see how it looks:

topplan.jpg

backplan.jpg

the necks have has the side profile cut and are currently having CF bars glued in place

Id go for the 40mm thick option (your second pik) Its reasonably close to standard. It will weigh a lot less that the 50 jobbie on a double neck. I learned my lesson on the first double i did. Im hollowing out my current double neck build.

Slapped it all together as a mockup (no glue) & it was H-E-A-V-Y

This thing is starting to look realy cool.

i am going to try and keep it at 1.5" but just wanted to confirm switches first. it will feature a few chambers to keep the weigth down too, i may even chamber the neck throughs from the side - still considering the best way to do that

considering two more laminations for the body with teh black limba in the middle

thickness6.jpg

thickness5.jpg

if i do go that way i will put a big roundover on the back to show off the subtle flame of the limba round the edges

If I were trying to chamber the wings, I would use a forstner bit on a drill press carefully to get as much out as I could, then clean it up with hand tools or by putting the whole wing over a spindle sander and very carefully move it along it a couple times until it looks squarer. Looking very snazzy by the way, looking forward to this.

Edited by Reinhold