Types Of Wood To Use When Building An Electric Guitar

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

why not have a look around the forum at the sort of things people are using - most of them will be lighter than rosewood. and most of them will sound better too, i personally dont find rosewood guitars that appealing. They sound nice by themselves but there are other woods that work much better in a band mix

Yes it would be, Fender did Tele's in rosewood. I think your biggest problem will be finding stock large enough......oh, and it won't be cheap !

Umm well can u suggest an alternative wood type that sounds nice and is relatively light??

Poplar. It's light, inexpensive, easy to work with, and has a good sound.

And don't try and tell me that it always has those nasty green mineral streaks in it. You CAN find clear boards, you just have to look harder. The one on the right is from a 15" wide 2" thick slab of clear, streak-free poplar.

twinsback.jpg

Yes it would be, Fender did Tele's in rosewood. I think your biggest problem will be finding stock large enough......oh, and it won't be cheap !

Umm well can u suggest an alternative wood type that sounds nice and is relatively light??

Poplar. It's light, inexpensive, easy to work with, and has a good sound.

And don't try and tell me that it always has those nasty green mineral streaks in it. You CAN find clear boards, you just have to look harder. The one on the right is from a 15" wide 2" thick slab of clear, streak-free poplar.

twinsback.jpg

well i dunno if poplar is in massive stock in Australia. Which would sound better rosewood?, white cyprus?, or mahogony?.

Better is very subjective. There is a lot that contributes to a guitars sound. All of the woods each add flavor, some pieces more than others. But you have to decide what you prefer. I like the tone of mahogany with a maple neck, I am not as big on all mahogany though. But there are plenty of Gibson lovers out there who prefer all mahogany.

Tassie Blackwood. For the body and the neck if you want. Ive also used Jarrah, Marri(redgum) Aussie oak and sheoak. Im abit different though! But my recommendation is definately Tassie Blackwood.

Where in Oz are ya Jeff?

rosewood body would be very costly i heard those rosewood teles are very bright sounding . but we need to know what kind of music do you play ,what kind of a guitar you want to build .there is allot of good sounding wood thats pretty cheap. i would try any of the softer hardwoods poplar, alder,basswood ,mahogany ,,,,,,,.....swamp-ash or any local wood

I use anything I can get my mitts on from "mystery" flea market carvings to Pallets to 18th century Church pew gates.

The one thing I look for is dry , as knot free or "clear" as possible and I try to do a 'tap' test just to see what type of vibrations the raw wood allows through.

If the wood isn't stiff enough for a neck on its own , you can add CF rods or bars to strengthen it. I made a neck out of Poplar from a pallet runner and its holding up fine thusfar. I used 2 CF bars along w/the TR which proved to be sufficient .

keep an open mind and an open eye and guitar wood will pop out everywhere. It'll take more work to get a guitar out of wood that wasn't designed for that purpose , but it'll be much , much cheaper than buying blanks 9 times out of 10.

I recently came across two more killer pallets at work so I'll be building more "freebies" . :D

Tassie Blackwood. For the body and the neck if you want. Ive also used Jarrah, Marri(redgum) Aussie oak and sheoak. Im abit different though! But my recommendation is definately Tassie Blackwood.

Where in Oz are ya Jeff?

mate i live in central west NSW in a tiny town called Canowindra, im on the otherside of the continent haha. I've heard of yallingup though im pretty sure ther :D :D es some good surf about, i envy you in that i live in the middle of a place that seems to be a desert in summer, topped about 46 degrees last summer and the beach is about 4-5 hours away....

That kinda sucks.

Anyway a bit off topic there i dunno whether tasmanian blackwood will be in huge supply around this place but my uncle lives around the tropical area of NSW he may be able to get me sum seasoned mahogony.

Also thankyou to all the help i have gotten the people that have replied with some great suggestions. Thanks and rock on

Mate, NSW has a great timber industry, im always looking at timber yards in NSW. If i can find blackwood here in abundance you will have no probs! We have a company called Austim in the west,but they could be a national thing so hit them up on google. They also import many exotic hardwoods from all over the world so they have alot of the more basic guitar building timbers as in Mahogany,maple, oaks, walnuts, teaks, blackwoods etc. check em out.

Yeah we have good surf!Going into chilly season though, so the motivation lacks to go for a surf, still get a wave here and there though.

Chad :D