Semi Hollow "raven"

update:

I had some free time so I did some more work, thats all I have to say about that.

ok I glued the top down cut the binding channel radiusd the fret board but haven't glued it down yet. I still have to do the ebony binding on the fretboard still before polishing it. I also dyed the top black for sand back but am liking the black as it is will have to sleep on it.

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

What do you all think about the black top?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to adding to my workload Kimosabe... now I gotta build pickups for this as well.

When you wake up realize that Blue is probably the right answer. I have done a few of these and it was always on impulse.... I think the blue will be over the top gorgeous.

Do blue.

Sell.

Take money make another.

\m/ I do like the black...

Something's calling me back

There's a light in the black

Am I ready to go

I'm coming home

-- RJD w/Rainbow

i have a feelin 'wet' its plenty dark; and i like it!

good jarb!

i cant beleive you pulled that feather off so nicely!!

Thanks Grant, but the feather isn't done yet. still have to put the MOP inlay on the stem. hey I seen some one selling one of your Bass's on KIjiji.

Thanks to adding to my workload Kimosabe... now I gotta build pickups for this as well.

When you wake up realize that Blue is probably the right answer. I have done a few of these and it was always on impulse.... I think the blue will be over the top gorgeous.

Do blue.

Sell.

Take money make another.

\m/ I do like the black...

Something's calling me back

There's a light in the black

Am I ready to go

I'm coming home

-- RJD w/Rainbow

yes you do I'll get you the specs today some time. Oh and I'm going to do the blue.

Id probobly throw a realy light/thinned out blue or amber over the black. just to add a little somethin to the mix.

looks cool in black.

no worries doing it blue. just going to order some better blue dye, the stuff I mixed up isn't dark blue enough for me.

Just me - but maybe if it were darker? just like "wet" darker, not really dyed darker.

Huh? I'm confused. The top is wet in the pictures. So what do you mean?

Sorry - was referring to the binding. Just looking at the pics, if it were a little darker would look amazing.

Not sure what our boy is going on about...

All things are for sale, it is the great advantage of being able to create works of art. We can sell this because we can always make another.

<low end fuzzy>

if I completely missed your point sorry... explain when I am coherent

</low end fuzzy>

Dave it looks amazing... please finish the feather so we can see what the big picture looks like.

are you saying the body is getting the same binding as the neck?

cuz, that would be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and thanks for th heads up on the kijiji; he was instructed not to sell it with the trade we made

no problem man I don't no what the deal is. but just on an off chance I went on there and saw it. The body will be getting 2 bindings. the on thats on the fretboard is going to be turn on is side for the body with another binding of cocobolo on top of it.

Not sure what our boy is going on about...

All things are for sale, it is the great advantage of being able to create works of art. We can sell this because we can always make another.

<low end fuzzy>

if I completely missed your point sorry... explain when I am coherent

</low end fuzzy>

Dave it looks amazing... please finish the feather so we can see what the big picture looks like.

Will do Brett I almost have the binding on the body done. I have got the stem shaved down for the MOP now and I just started cutting the first piece for it. but I think I'm done for the day. I'm tired from all my walking around yesterday at the Toronto Zoo.

I personally like the blue a LOT better. However... why are you dyeing it now when you haven't even installed the binding yet?

Chris

I dye the top first to test my binding combo out. it just wasn't working for me on the test piece so I tried it on the body itself. the curves of the body helped me out a lot. it just made sense when I did it that way. If you know what I mean.

Something about that feather is bothering me. I think it is the width or how much of the bottom of the chamber you can see and maybe the color of the chamber....at least as it looks in the pictures. Is that area more shadowed in real life?

It might be a cool look to paint some subtle feather *fibers- filaments-whatever they are called* h=just a shade different than what is already there. I might give it some featherish depth.

SR

I think the feather needs a binding inside the edges

Rekon you may be right there. & some gloss poly in the cavity behind it. But then dave is probly way ahead of us on this one :D

You'd be right there Paul. way ahead of ya's all. You'll see it when it's all done I think. no more updates to busy.