Project Open Telecaster

First rough build done...one down 2 to go and I still have much to do on this one. The guitar is way to tight right now. I am going to give it a week before doing anything else. Finished up the pickups and the wiring the other night. I haven't potted them and I am not sure if I will or not. The neck pickup sounds great but the bridge did not come out like I wanted. I might have to rewind it and try to get more out of it. It sounds a little thin right now... I really like the Tone Pros Kluson tuners they are great.

P8170148.jpg

P8170154.jpg

Not sure I am going to put a pickguard on it. After I get the frets dressed and the nut tuned in I will take it apart for finishing. I will address the neck heal at that point as this one needs to be cut closer to the neck. The bodies for these 3 needed some tweaking. I had to outsource them by way of a trade because I didn't have time to do them myself. The neck pockets on these are disappointing because they are a little small and the necks hang over a bit. If these were for customers I would start over but since they are for a family project they will do. I am going to grain fill with yellow fill then decide from there. I am torn between a nice oil finish and a really thin amber lacquer. I will probably go with the amber lacquer so it looks butterscotch. Then I will leave it outside for a few months...kidding... kinda.

P8170150.jpg

P8170151.jpg

P8170152.jpg

P8170153.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trick I picked up from Gil. Don't let the magnets touch the baseplate (tone killer). And a trick of my own... Jbass pickup foam under the neck pickup (easier than springs).

PB030464.jpg

PB030463.jpg

Decals are not your friend. I think they need to go on early in the process so you can build up the clear over them. The edges show no matter what I do.

PB020421.jpg

PB020437.jpg

• 3 months later...

Any finished pics of these Restor???

Yeah... umm.. no. I got 2 done but haven't finished the third. Have been waiting on it to take good photos... It is hard to get good photos at night. I have to do it during the day. Maybe tomorrow I will post one. They look like Telecasters...

I must say. They're lookin' pretty cool in a classic way. The owners shall be proud.

Chris

I just went through the whole thread. These guitars make me want to build :D

Thanks guys you are being too generous on these... They are beaters with sentimental value only. I didn't even pore fill before shooting them because when my brother gets home from this tour (he's a marine) we (me and 2 brothers) are going to relic them \m/. I think there are plans to drag them behind the Jeep...

They look great Restor!!! Did the necks get straight clear or is it tinted lacquer?

Chad.

Behlen Nitro with a bit of amber/orange transtint. I think vintage maple transtint would work better.

I sprayed them with a light tint then came back an did accents with the air brush.

you can use RAD it is easier to type than Restor...

• 4 months later...