Anohter White Explorer

I really liked the way the lefty white explorer came out. So i will be making another one, but right handed. AND a white matching headstock. I HATE it when they don't match the body. I have the body routed to shape, and the neck blank glued up 3 piece maple)

I'll have pics tomorrow... I did not feel like taking them tonight. Hopefully this one comes out as good as the lefty.

the body will be POPLAR, so I don't have so much trouble painting it... I have not noticed the difference in sound at all by using poplar... so don't give me that talk.

It isn't "tone voodoo" just because you personally can't hear it. :D

I personally will never buy another poplar guitar after comparing a poplar Jacksons to their Alder counterparts.A few years ago they built soloists in Japan of poplar..same pickups and hardware as the USA soloists...the USA soloists sounded much better...even though we all know the Japanese Jacksons are every bit as well built as the USA ones...in alot of cases better built..

It isn't "tone voodoo" just because you personally can't hear it. :D

Sign of the apocalypse: I'm agreeing with Wes. I've heard the tone difference between woods pretty clearly. There's a WORLD of difference from sapele to poplar to maple.

That being said, poplar is a fine choice for any guitar. It's a nice, middle-of-the-road tone. As a bonus, it usually looks like poo, so you have every reason to paint it.

Edited by avengers63

tells me you need a better amp.

i also dont play as much as i should.... but those single notes i play sound damn good :D

and wood differences are clear through non-modelling decent gear, decent modellers do cover it up quite a but though

yeah yeah, I know y ou all calim you can tell a huge difference, blah blah blah. My point, I dont think there is enough difference to matter.. sure, its there... but it is so small it does not matter. Im not trying ot change your minds, because i know you wont... but ive played a ton of guitars, and made a TON identical, but with different woods... Sound very close to the same, not enough to make a mahogany guitar over a poplar one... from recordings, you cant tell the difference. so there :D

I find its the overall quality of the guitar, that makes it sound different... Not only the wood.

now no-one ever said it was 'only the wood'. of course quality of parts and workmanship makes a difference, and i would even say that it can make more of a difference than the wood

which is lot different to saying the wood has no noticable affect on tone

I'll just say im anti tone voodoo... Ive made enough guitars to compare...

i really dont consider myself into tone voodoo either... but i know bad sounding guitars exist and there are reasons some sound better than others even in identical batches.

the wood is one of those reasons, and its the hardest one to change once the guitar is built.... which is why i think its impottant for the builder to understand the (sometimes subtle) changes wood can bring to the sound

but there is nothing wrong with poplar (played some i like but never actually built with it as it doesnt inspire me).... and nothing wrong with painting mahogany

and absolutely nothing wrong with having your own opinion on these things - but be aware that writing it down will get responses, its like a red rag to a bull :D