Classic Thinline

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really cool build John i am liking what your doing lately the tiesco theam is pretty cool i have eyed a few of them on ebay thinking they had some cool stuff going on back then,

btw is there a height adjustment on those pickups?

is there a height adjustment on those pickups?

No, there isn't. :D That just translates into more prep work and a solid test fitting of everything.

Speaking of which....

wip112.jpg

wip113.jpg

I did my test fit yesterday. The string cleared the frets with plenty of height left in the bridge screws. The pups are pretty close to the strings, so I can't lower the neck any further into the body.

So with all that set, it's time to start finishing the body. Hello, rattlecans!

wip114.jpg

I'll empty the three partial cans I have, then see how it looks after a leveling sanding. I'll probably start with the MISTO sprayer after that.

I buffed the neck to 1000 yesterday and gave is a light linseed oiling. I'll probably give it another oil wipedown this afternoon. Now I gotta figure out a t/r/c.

the only thing i dont like about this is the headstock. it just doesnt seem to fit somehow

Isn't that ironic. :D

You're the reason I tried a recessed/multi-level headstock.

For the overall headstock shape, I was looking for something that would be in line with the goofy 60's Teisco headstocks. None of them really fit the guitar well either. If it doesn't fit this one... mission accomplished. :D

it reminds me more of a kay headstock than teisco... but i thoroughly agree it doesnt have to match nicely for thsi kind of thing

+1 on what chris said. you style is making a lot more sense with recent builds

i would love to see this style with a gaudy finish, a bigsby and (really small & **** point) bigger slide switches positioned under the pickups

it reminds me more of a kay headstock than teisco... but i thoroughly agree it doesnt have to match nicely for thsi kind of thing

+1 on what chris said. you style is making a lot more sense with recent builds

i would love to see this style with a gaudy finish, a bigsby and (really small & **** point) bigger slide switches positioned under the pickups

teal, Tiesco style trem from GFS, and the bigger slide switches, if anything were to change. But I gotta say, I love it just as is. Of course I don't really dig "normal" guitars anyway.....

I seriously considered some big rocker switches from Radio Shack. They'd have fit the theme just as well. Bit i always hated them, so mini-sliders it is. If i had an extra rotary switch, I'd put in a varitone instead of a normal tone. that's give me all the excuse I'd need for some chicken head knobs.

A gaudy, fug finish, huh?

You mean like THIS.....

closeup.jpg

i liked those famica jobs you did a few years ago

Don' sweat it, jack! I be fina re-doos one of 'em.

Yea Wez, that sparkle or gold pearl would be pretty sweet on it. It'd cost a pretty penny for me to have it painted, too. God know knows how much a gold pearl job would run.

i liked those famica jobs you did a few years ago

Don' sweat it, jack! I be fina re-doos one of 'em.

Yea Wez, that sparkle or gold pearl would be pretty sweet on it. It'd cost a pretty penny for me to have it painted, too. God know knows how much a gold pearl job would run.

Depends John - I've done some "pearl" coats for people for less than $100. They had final buffing duty, but was a reasonably sparkling job. More sparkle = more money it seems though.

also, the pearloid could be done in a similar way to how you did the formica top. obviously that wont get you the wrapped in pearloid look of the old eko's, which would be more expensive and possibly quite bad for the tone - but i can point you in the right direction for that

http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/pearloid.asp

• 4 weeks later...

wip115.jpg

wip116.jpg

SWEET MOTHER OF TWANG THIS THING SOUNDS FANTASTIC!!!!!

I'm completely in love with these pickups. Tons of twang, and with 4 of them and 4 on/off switches I can dial in the low/mid/high that is needed for the song. They come in at 5.5-6K each. I really think they're an absolute steal at $20-$25 a piece.

The neck would be a little thick for most folks, but with my huge hands it's just fine. The action dialed itself in nice & low right off the bat. There has been no need to tough the truss rod either. I usually have to bow it forward a little, but not this time.

The Rickenbacker style bridge takes a bit to get used to, but I barely noticed it after 30 minutes or so.

In all honesty, the vibrato unit is more for looks than anything. It works well enough, but I don't use them very much.