Classic Thinline

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had me worried for a minute there Jon. From the title I thought you were going to do something normal, I though you might be getting sick. But the pictures show that all is well.

A little too late now, but I think that would look good as a neck thru with the canarywood.

Is that a rub-on decal you used on the back there?

1) The back isn't shown at all in those last pics.

2) No. I used a pattern I found and adapted it for this purpose. I then used it to scroll saw the pattern into a huge f-hole.

I guess that wasnt the back huh? lol I couldnt tell if that was what you did or if that was a decal, very nice work!

Is that a rub-on decal you used on the back there?

1) The back isn't shown at all in those last pics.

2) No. I used a pattern I found and adapted it for this purpose. I then used it to scroll saw the pattern into a huge f-hole.

I guess that wasnt the back huh? lol I couldnt tell if that was what you did or if that was a decal, very nice work!

reference: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=43485

I don't know why I missed this the first time but that neck carving jig is GENIUS! I was dreading going home and having to build one before I can get back to work on some projects I have waiting... now. Not so much :D I have some stairs just like that!

Chris

John, i really like this build mate, it is looking the goods. So, Take this next bit with a grain of salt. I know you dig the, wanna do things different and kinda retro thing, i am in the same mindset of different, but i think with the 4 pickups, the tailpiece, the pickguard and all the other retro fittings it will detract from the awesome details this build has got going for it. The scrollsaw work with the Japanese vine design and the fingerboard outline of canarywood and walnut and the walnut laminate in the scarf are all fantastic little details that make this build somewhat different. IMO a great build needs to flow, beautiful timber, great finish, appropriate hardware etc. etc. If it was my build from here i would keep the hardware minimalistic. But like i said, take it with a grain of salt, i know where you are getting your inspiration from for this build.

It is looking great though!

Chad.

thief!!!!! :D hehe

i think i agree about the less is more approach in regard to the hardware with this one. but as its yours i guess its up to you

on a side note - it took my 15 minutes to cut out one petal the other night. and there are 257 pieces!!! o dear

gluing on the fretboard...

wip077.jpg

leveling some frets...

wip095.jpg

attaching some stuff to the pickguard...

wip103.jpg

wip104.jpg

I was originally going to use a 5-way blade switch and TRY to have the pups wired in pairs to TRY and emulate HBs. I left that one alone thinking that Tiescos always had individual sliders or rockers, so I went that direction instead. It keeps in the theme a LOT better.