Epoxy Fretboard Finish

I've seen some guitars, fretless basses mainly, where the fretboard has an epoxy finish. I know this seems dumb, but has anyone done this? I have a conversion bass neck where I think it would benefit greatly from an epoxy finish. I once mounted it on a body and played it, but I never put any kind of finish on and it got all scratched.

I am considering doing it on my fretless bass build over Ziricote. It really depends on how I get along with the tone of bare wood - epoxied boards are more "mwah"-ish AFAIK. There are a couple of good videos on YouTube which I found via a Talkbass thread as Wez mentions. Very worthwhile - it does demonstrate that you don't need a lot of epoxy, and how to mask the neck from getting epoxy everywhere (which is my speciality).

Ive seen Glass covered wood on Fretless guitars, and even stone fretboards. Epoxy should work well, from what you and other people have seen.

And on topic, I have my own question, sorry for any thread jacking. :D

I just made a Fretless guitar, and after a few coats of poly, and being glued to the neck, my Dad told me to put epoxy on it.

I guess I could still do it, if I were to tape off the Neck, but what would you guys do?

Will 3 coats of Poly hold up to Flatwound strings?

I guess I get used to people acting like some idea that I've seen used before isn't the greatest and get offensive about it. I was half expecting a "just use flatwound strings" response. I figured that epoxy would be simply enough, i just wondered if anyone had done it and it was as simple as it sounds.

Edited by weaponepsilon

• 2 weeks later...

Practice on scarp, and use a high quality epoxy (West Systems, System 3, something like that) that's formulated for easy application and/or suitable for finishing purposes. The cheap hardware store type will tend to stay rubbery and be a pain to sand, while sanding a good epoxy (when cured) is very easy.