Esp Rhoads!

Had an extra piece of poplar, so i thought i'd make a rhoads. super thin, 1.5" thick (Same as most of my guitars) 24 fret bloodwood fretboard on a 3 piece maple neck. ESP style headstock ( I like it a lot more than a jackson headstock)

I have JUST ENOUGH good clear coat for this. It will have the cool marbilized finish. The ONLY reason im attempting this type of finish again, is because i have a TON of marbilizer left, and just the right amount of easy buffing clear to do 1 more guitar. Should come out alright. IM excited for it. I went with the bloodwood fretboard to go along with the red theme. Will probably actually put parts on this one. If i do, it will have black nickel hardware, and emg 81/60.

ESPRhoadsfretted005.jpg

ESPRhoadsfretted004.jpg

ESPRhoadsfretted003.jpg

ESPRhoadsfretted002.jpg

ESPRhoadsfretted001.jpg

Yup, never had any problems with balance on any shape actually, with putting it on the back.

Got the neck all carved today. I must say, this for some reason feels like my best/favorite neck ive made. I dont know why, but sometimes one just "clicks" and feels even better than the others. Cant wait to get this one finished! I should be able to get most of the work done tomorrow, the hard parts are done.

Dude, you really crank these puppies out! Im honestly jealous at how much spare time you must have to work on guitars all day every day. Have you done a Rhoads with an ESP HS before? Slap a couple of pin stripes along the edges and a bucker in the bridge and you got an Alexi clone.

I'm just used to having all the weight on the body side and none at the neck.

Note the position of my strap button

FILE0360.jpg

It doesn't really dive, but it doesn't want to sit with the headstock as high up as I'd like it to. I play my bass that way, and I just kinda worked it into my guitar playing. For any other guitarist, it'd probably sit perfect for them.

Pros, never thought about that, putting them in a case, that is.

MP,

Yeah, i tend to work on them for at least 8 hours every day i dotn work my other job, and when i do, i come home and work on them after. Ive made 5 in 6 weeks.

Cool man, Youve literally made guitar building your life! Very commendable. And it shows how serious you are about doing this. Do still manage to find time to play?

Not me. I make them to sell, and thats it. I like playing them before i sell them, but I wont ever keep one. Ive tried, even by best sounding/plaing ones, and i look at it on the guitar stand, and only see all hte money/time invested in it, and have to sell it.

I would see the time I invested and revel the fact that to buy that guitar would have cost much more than I spent making it myself. Do you usually build whatever the heck you want and then pawn it off to the first interested party, or does a potential customer tell you what they want before you start making it? Im sure youve done both, but what is the "normal" scenario?

Ive done 2 SUCCESSFUL Commission builds. I have failed at 3 (returned their money) I will never do that again. So i just make what i feel like (99% of the time, a KL explorer, because i have UNLIMITED buyers for that) But ever now and then change it up, like this rhoads.

To each his own. Sounds like you are squandering a great skill though. You have the ability to make some really well built and uniquely beautiful guitars, but you lock yourself into doing the same thing over and over because you "need it to sell". Dont get me wrong, your KL explorers are great, as well as your other builds (including this one). But dont you think you could have a lot more fun if you were to build one really nice guitar specifically to keep for yourself and not worry about whether it would sell or not. Building "plain" guitars to sustain a habit of building more "plain" guitars sounds like redundancy for the sake of redundancy.

Trust me, Im not trying to sway your opinion one way or the other. I doubt I could if I wanted to. Just expressing mine.

But dont you think you could have a lot more fun if you were to build one really nice guitar specifically to keep for yourself and not worry about whether it would sell or not.

Actually... Not at all. I dont play enough or care to play that much anymore, to have a really nice expensive guitar. I mean, it seems pointless to do that, when i would just play it a few hours a night, playing the same 3 songs i know over and over. I hit a peak (not a very high one) of ability on guitar. I never got very good, despite how much I played. And actually, i foudn that the longer i went without playing, then came back to playing, i was actually better.

I enjoy building 100X more than playing. Dont get me wrong its not just "Buid build build, sell sell sell, gotta make money'

Honestly, ist actually like 75% of just having something to do. if i did not build guitars, i would have pretty much nothing to do when i dont work at the baseball stadium ( dont work much anymore)

I honestly couldnt make a poplar guitar with a CLEAR coat, and maple neck, and not want to sell it. I spent a lot money on wood, and most of my free time. Even though i dont do it ONLY for the money, I will not just lose money by keeping something that could be WAY better off in the hands of a skilled player that appreciates playing it. They are meant to be played, and used. I just dont do that enough to see the benefit of keeping one.

routed, and ready for paint. Sorry, forgot to rotate them before i uploaded them to photobucket.

But dont you think you could have a lot more fun if you were to build one really nice guitar specifically to keep for yourself and not worry about whether it would sell or not.

Actually... Not at all. I dont play enough or care to play that much anymore, to have a really nice expensive guitar. I mean, it seems pointless to do that, when i would just play it a few hours a night, playing the same 3 songs i know over and over. I hit a peak (not a very high one) of ability on guitar. I never got very good, despite how much I played. And actually, i foudn that the longer i went without playing, then came back to playing, i was actually better.

I enjoy building 100X more than playing. Dont get me wrong its not just "Buid build build, sell sell sell, gotta make money'

Honestly, ist actually like 75% of just having something to do. if i did not build guitars, i would have pretty much nothing to do when i dont work at the baseball stadium ( dont work much anymore)

I honestly couldnt make a poplar guitar with a CLEAR coat, and maple neck, and not want to sell it. I spent a lot money on wood, and most of my free time. Even though i dont do it ONLY for the money, I will not just lose money by keeping something that could be WAY better off in the hands of a skilled player that appreciates playing it. They are meant to be played, and used. I just dont do that enough to see the benefit of keeping one.

routed, and ready for paint. Sorry, forgot to rotate them before i uploaded them to photobucket.

Fair enough. I can appreciate that. But for someone who is so obviously obsessed with guitars, its ironic you dont own one to at least have on display or something...