Headstock Faux Pas

I had originally intended for this hs to show it's outstanding flame on the side. At some point I also thought that it might be cool to use the ebony as a contrast layer between the maple sections; plus I just like ebony :D It was no extra work as the ebony and maple were off-cuts from the neck/core.

As the pics show, I didn't actually look to see where my normal headstock was going to fall, I just joined away.

When I got around to offering up my template I nearly kicked myself as the template cuts into the ebony, not too much on the bass side, but considerably on the treble side.

hs1.jpg

hs2.jpg

Options as I see them are to cut the headstock a bit over size, cut it a bit under size and bind it with some flame maple or just live with it.

The front is getting a headplate, so that's not an issue. I was going to leave the back unveneered, but I'm considering doing a walnut/maple/walnut veneer job on it now (the guitar has a stunning walnut top, nice walnut back and the headplate is a nice bit of walnut as well, all with contrast veneers.

See what happens when you deviate from your plan without due consideration! :D

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

Have a good weekend ya'll.

Buter

I would have thought easiest option is to alter the headstock shape slightly so you will be showing maple, just cut oversize in the area of the middle tuners.

Or cut the ears off and reattach them with a ) maple to maple or b ) as they were but with the ebony laminate taken down to half its thickness. That might look cool on the back and would still show flame maple all around the sides

Edited by sam_c

Thoughts? Advice? Suggestions?

Buter

The easy solution, as you said, is to increase the radius along the sides of the HS so the cuts don't touch the ebony at all..

hs1.jpg

If the shape of the HS is a deal breaker, then I would cut out the ebony strips that border the ears and reglue some larger ears. That way the entire sides of the HS would be in maple. I'd rather see a seam in the maple than the HS profile cutting in and out of the ebony.

My 2 cents.

So the side view of the headstock shows the construction method- is that so bad?

I wouldnt stress about ti too much but if you really do want the side maple unbroken then widening slightly is the easiest way at this stage. You could also trim the ears off and slim those two outer ebony lams a little if the headstock shape was non-negotiable

Thanks for the input everyone.

Only an idiot would ask for advice and then ignore it, so I'll probably widen the profile of the hs a bit and try not to expose the ebony when I finish shape the damn thing.

I'm still considering cutting the peghead ears off, planing down the ebony and re-joining them. It's just laziness that's making me hesitate, I guess.

So the side view of the headstock shows the construction method- is that so bad?

Not at all, Wez. I just don't think that it would look right. My guitars have an 'Omega' style cutout on the bottom that shows off the construction quite nicely! :D

This is a gratuitous post

Nonsense, Scott. It was advice from a top notch builder (in fact, the builder of the guitar that I've already said is my favorite to ever appear on this forum) and it just adds more weight to the others' comments.

Veneer the sides of the headstock with flamed maple? I'm sure you could do it with just tape since it's such a small area.

No idea what you're saying Chris. I do know that I have some very thin, flexible off cuts from the neck pieces that would have no objection to being used as a binding on the sides of the hs. I doubt that I'll take this road, but the option is there if I make any more cock-ups.

Not in the shop again until Monday morning so if anyone else has other ideas....

Cheers

Buter

You understood exactly what I was saying. Glue a thin, flexible, piece of flamed maple along the edge. Kinda like binding, but thinner... and covering the full depth. Granted, you'd then kinda need to put a headplate and backstrap on the headstock to avoid seeing this from the top and bottom.

Chris