Active ? + Dimebag anyone ??

Is there some Internal war going on between EMG & the rest of the world

I've found that either you like them or are heavly against them, myself I dig um

But there are ax's I beleive also they don't belong in at same time .

Any way has any body tryed the "Dimebag Duncan" if so your thoughts ??

I picked up the "Tony McAlpine model " Charvel and was thinking of slaming one in there.

Thanks Max! B):D

Yeah, I agree, I don't know what the big friggin' McDeal is about with EMG either.

I like their pkps, I've got EMG's in one Superstrat, and soon to have some more in another.

I also use lots of other pkps too, so I don't understand the love/hate thing, to me they're just another flavor, nothing extreme.

I also use their specialty tone pots like, all the time now, the Afterburner, the SPC control, the EXG control, there's another I can't remember, I use that stuff all the time now mixed with regular (other) pkps, like Bardens, Lawrences, Duncans, etc.

So EMG to me is no different than anyone else really, they fit certain applications and don't fit other applications, same as everyone else's products.

I always shoot for versatility and noise-free operation, they certainly give me that with their specialty pots and pre-amps.

Emgs are one of those things; they work perfectly for what there designed to do - kick the S**T out of your pre-amp valves :D . I have EMGs in one of my guitars (soon to be 2) but I couldnt cope with having them in all, I love some things about them, but I have to have that passive tone to hand aswell.

I never owned one, but I tried a Dime Washburn that had a Dimebucker in it at the music store. As long as your not planning on using it for pretty melodies, you'll like it. It kind of reminded me of a really raw EMG 81. So if your looking for some nasty crunch, go for it.

I think it is mostly due to a major misunderstanding of what an active pickup does. I get the feeling that there are quite a few players who think that EMG's completely ignore the instruments phyical properties and generate the notes all on their own. EMG doesn't seem to care enough about these people to try to educate the masses and fill them in on exactly what the active pickups do. There is a link in their site that explains it but I also wonder how many haters actually take the time to read it.

I love my 81 and 89. I also like passives as well. I want to check out the Dimebag soon since I have heard good things about it.

It bothers me when people assume that EMG's are some completely different device from a normal pickup. It's one thing to just not care for the filtering they chose but it's another to claim that the guitar's personality is ruined by them.

Sorry for the EMG rant. I had to get that out.

Oh yeah, does anyone know what a good neck position HB would be with a Dimebag at the bridge?

daveq Posted on Jan 3 2004, 06:46 PM

I think it is mostly due to a major misunderstanding of what an active pickup does. I get the feeling that there are quite a few players who think that EMG's completely ignore the instruments phyical properties and generate the notes all on their own. EMG doesn't seem to care enough about these people to try to educate the masses and fill them in on exactly what the active pickups do. There is a link in their site that explains it but I also wonder how many haters actually take the time to read it.

im with you here!!

i love my 81 and 60, great sounding pickups!

emg's have great noise rejection, that is wht i like em soo much, i am looking to find suitable leads that dont let me down!!

mike

• 4 weeks later...

basically the definition of an active pickup is one that blends the charatercistics of the pickup itself and the preamp versatility.

otherwise you have a passive pickup with an active system.. ie carvin..

or you have dead pickup with a preshaped non adjustable preamp. ie EMG

Emg's have less windings and are done with a thicker wire to make them pickup freq ranges better.. in theory alone this is great if you leave it there and the let the player boost it and shape it to theyre likings.

but emg presets the gain and freq response so you have virtually no control over what your amp sees but the passive controls that you had before you put in active emg's

neither of these are bad things. but consider this......

lets look at the line six pod mentality.. would you rather have someone convert your guitar signal into a +/- voltage just enough that it triggers a sample of what you want to hear???

thats essentilaly a stripped down version of what the pod does. and what your emg does.

how does this apply to us .. well think of it like this.. take a plywood guitar plywood body cheap neck and such put in some dimarzios sounds like crap right????? put in some emg's sounds like emg's right????

see what i mean. i encoruage you to try this and see. the tonality of your guitar doen't transfer through in the same manner as with passive pickups or even a passive pickup driving an active system

now on saying that i must personaly say that on my ibanez with the emg 81 in the bridge and my dimarzio x2n in the middle (ie i had a routing on my ibanez done similar to a kramer nightswan.) and with my coil taps and personal eq section i had a perfect combination that i will go back tooo.. again and again. but my purpose was to educate here.. so please hold your stones :D