Kramer Imperial

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit more work done today. most of the paint is off but I freaking ran out of paint stripper - off to the hardwear store tomorrow! :D

back.JPG

front.JPG

PS. on the pick of the back that is one of my freakishly long thumbs creeping into shot B) and you guys on the PC in the background :D

Whats model is the charvel your doing? Ive been lookin out for a kahler equipped charvel for a while now...

The Charvel is a 3A I think :D , I can never remember which is which. It was metallic blue with a floyd in when I got it. The next plate has the Fort Worth details on it. Unfortunately it got stepped on and managed to break off the end of the headstock and put a massive hole through the electrics cavity.

Ive sanded it back, filled any nocks and dings, filled the pickup holes except the bridge, filled the trem rout, recut the headstock and moved one machine head.

Next up is the fixed bridge, which may be a hipshot bridge then painting matt black and silver speckled finish under tons of matt varnish and finally adding shiny shiny metal to it to cover the cavity hole B) If thats not metal, I dont know what is!!!

I havent seen many Charvels for sale in the UK recently. Perhaps they are becomming a bit of a classic. I got mine in a bargin buy with two ORIGINAL floyd rose trems (the guy liked gold but it had a black one as well!) a hard case and a combination of pickups, Including a DiMarzio humbucker that is white and black. Dont know what it is but im putting it in there till I get an EMG.

Just got my hands on some more paint stripper so I should have that sorted by the end of the evening. Also got some paint for the base coat and some primer. Can somone talk me through applying this to raw wood - do I need anthing else? Also, I have "plastikote" paint...is this the right stuff? :D

I didnt wanna make a new thread for this but I have a quick question. What would you say would be the perfect depth for a scallop (at the deepest point, measured from the origional height of the fretboard). I need some answers quick :D thanks guys.

little bit more work done. got all the paint off at last (the concave curves around the neck joint were really hard). I filled the neck pup hole with mahogany then skimmed with normal wood filler (the pick was taken before i sanded it back).

filler.JPG

Just keeping you up to date...

you make me want to have a go at my fr404... now that I won't have money to actually build a guitar for quite a while, I've been thinking of some refinishing and general modding...

anyway, I think you're supposed to sand between every coat you apply, but I don't know what grade paper you should be using...

it's looking nice :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well its finished (bar a pickup....If anyone has an EMG 85 for sale, mail me). Its SO SO pink and I love it :D the clear coat isnt totally shiny - sorta satin, looks real cool. For some reason it looks "patchy" on the pic, but it isnt, its totally perfect coverage....

kramerpink.JPG

Dont think I did too bad B)