Project: Super-thin

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tints-All is GREAT stuff, I've been using it forever, a tiny tube will last you many years, it's fun and harmless to use.

I use it in my lacquer all the time for edgebursts. It mixes in just about anything.

The Pthalo Blue is a GORGEOUS color blue, one of my favorite blues out there.

However...

When you buy it, it's usually completely separated in the tube, probably been sitting around for years...you have to let the excess air out, and squeeze it back and forth, back and forth, back and forth for awhile to mix the pigment (solids) and whatever it's solvent is together.

It takes about 5 minutes of squeezing back and forth to really get it gelled together again.

It should look and squeeze like fresh, happy toothpaste basically.

If it comes out runny, it ain't mixed.

If it comes out thick and globby, it ain't mixed.

Sorry, but I've been trying to figure out what you're getting at for 4 days, but I'm drawing a blank. unsure.gif

There's a remote for women, and it has a volume button that turns down, but not up. I was attempting to turn the remote into a guitar, as you referred to the guitar as "curvy like a woman." So I figured the guitar would be a woman with some attitude, as attitude seems to be something everyone wants in their guitar. Since the woman(guitar) has an attitude, a volume knob would be handy so you could turn her down if she (the guitar) was getting too loud/obnoxious (bitchy).

I think too much sometimes :D

I think the shallow carve works! If you can keep that bevel nice and sharp without rounding it over, I think it'll be a kickass piece!

Sorry, but I've been trying to figure out what you're getting at for 4 days, but I'm drawing a blank. unsure.gif

There's a remote for women, and it has a volume button that turns down, but not up. I was attempting to turn the remote into a guitar, as you referred to the guitar as "curvy like a woman." So I figured the guitar would be a woman with some attitude, as attitude seems to be something everyone wants in their guitar. Since the woman(guitar) has an attitude, a volume knob would be handy so you could turn her down if she (the guitar) was getting too loud/obnoxious (bitchy).

I think too much sometimes :D

Wow. :D

Ok back to reality.

John, I guess you are need that surface mount pickup soon...

I think too much sometimes B)

Wow. :D

Ok back to reality.

You do not need a volume control, just go to the fridge and get a bottle of listening juice :D

Edited by Muzz

Home Depot is now carrying Tints-All tubes.

Neither Lowes not Home Depot have it in-store. At least not the ones here. I checked both of them yesterday afternoon. Oh well.

I think the shallow carve works! If you can keep that bevel nice and sharp without rounding it over, I think it'll be a kickass piece!

Yea... my intention was to keep the edges as sharp as possible. With the bevels being so shallow, they would soon start to look like sloped roundovers if they aren't crisp.

No hurry, buddy! You said your target time was the Christmas break. That's fine with me. I'M IN NO HURRY WHATSOEVER. I get an idea, I get excited, and I run with it. Then I end up waiting until I can go further.

Besides, I have plenty of other projects I can work on if this one comes to a standstill: the Retrotron, Deco LP, Mockingbird, the SG I haven't posted anything about yet, the interchangeable units, a redneck special I bought the wood for, a replacement Rickenbacker 600, templates & bodies for a Gretsch Jupiter and an Airline, making the wood bender so I can do the 12-string and archrop...... So yea, there's plenty I can do while I'm waiting for the pups.

I don't know why mine carries it, but they do lately.

So....what's stopping you from discovering your local Artist Supply Store?

Do you want to forever condemn yourselves to Hobbyist Hell by sticking to Home Depot?

They suck anyway, it was sort of convenient that mine carried Tints All, but for all the previous years I used it, I bought it at my local Artist Supply Store.

Hint: Professionals do not buy their supplies from Lowes or Home Depot. :D

If you forever limit yourself to what HD stocks, you will forever limit yourself to 'hobbyist' status.

Stretch your horizons, the artist supply stores WANT your business! :D

The closest thing I have to an art house in realistic driving range is Michael's & Hobby Lobby. Nobody in their right mind would really call them an "artist supply house". We used to have a Dik-Blik, but they moved away 10 years ago.

I tried mixing the dye into the mineral spirits, then adding that to the linseed oil. The result was almost the EXACT same as putting it directly into the oil.

Hint: Professionals do not buy their supplies from Lowes or Home Depot.

If you forever limit yourself to what HD stocks, you will forever limit yourself to 'hobbyist' status.

In retrospect, that came off a little ...smarmy...

It is somewhat true, but sounded a little mean spirited, my apologies.

I can't imagine that you don't have a professional finishing supply house somewhere near you...

Try cold-calling a half-dozen carpenters and furniture builders in your area and ask them where they get their supplies.

Look up local painters and ask them where they get their supplies, even places that offer painting classes.

The Jo-Annes fabrics is a decent try, I actually get some supplies from there on occasion, but I think you should re-direct from 'craft' supplies to 'finishing' supplies or 'painting' supplies...but if they have it, go for it, there's a decent chance they do.

The closest thing I have to an art house in realistic driving range is Michael's & Hobby Lobby.

Even in St. Louis? Kansas City has at least a couple of good ones, so I always assume STL has more.

I live 20 minutes East of the Mississippi, so the StL city limits is 20 minutes away, but that's downtown in the business district. It'd be more like 40+ minutes to anywhere that might carry those sorts of stores. The only decent lumber yard is an hour away. So yes, I'm sure there are a number of art/paint supply houses that might carry it, but they're not within a driving range that would allow me to just "pop in after work".

I looked around on-line for Tints-All, and found it in Ace Hardware. We have a few of them around here, as well as JoAnn fabrics, so there are still a couple more options.

In the meantime, I was experimenting with the dyes I have, but I can't get to a good turquoise. I can get a dark teal, but I want it brighter than that.

I agree, I would have it shipped, but Trans-fast is either water, alcohol, or metallic, I thought you were still going down the oil-based trail?

That's what I was wanting to do. I checked the websites for Ace & JoAnn's for Tints-All, and neither carry it locally. So, with the local unavailability of alternatives, plans change. I can still have the color I wanted, I just can't do it exactly the way I wanted to. I'm over it.

You can put this in the Useless Information dept...

Turquoise is basically a mix of blue and green, there might be a little something else in there...

But if you're ordering dyes, you can order Turquoise, Blue, and Green, so if the shade of turquoise isn't exactly what you want, you can ~lean~ it one way or the other, depending on taste, with the other two dyes.

I custom-mix dyes all the time to get the flavor I want, so it's great to have several around.

Just sayin...<giggedy> :D

I know exactly what colors mix to make turquoise. I have a heavy art background. As I already said, I did a bunch of experimenting with mixing blue & green dyes. I could get a dark teal - in the sea green range - but not turquoise. Thinning the dye to get a lighter shade didn't do the trick, and there is no white dye to use, so none of my experiments gave me the result I wanted.

Truss rod routed and the fretboard decided and slotted. I finally landed with a piece of lightly figured makore. I was contemplating wenge, jatoba, zebrawood, and cherry. In the end, I really liked the color of makore after it's been around for a while and thought it'd look really good against the turquoise body.

I'll be using some abalone I picked up for next to nothing on eBay. I'm still undecided on which it will be: ovals or diamonds.

wip10.jpg

wip11.jpg

wip12.jpg

I went to the ONE local store that can get in the Tints-all this morning. They can't get in the phthalto green that lightens into turquoise OR the white to lighten it with. :D So I'm gonna order the dye from Woodcraft and get it over with.

Makore as a fretboard? I'm guessing it will be finished?

Sure! I figure "What the he11. Might as well give it a shot." I wasn't planning on any more finish than a few coats of linseed oil. There's no reason I'm aware of that the fretboard HAS to have a thick finish on it, so I'd rather keep the feel of the wood.

I got the neck & headstock routed to the template today. The end of the headstock will need to be "sharpened up" to match the horns, but that's no biggie. I figure to put the 24th fret right on the carve line. This gives you total access to the first 22, and at least availability to the last to. This also places the strap button at the 12th fret, so that ensures no balance issues with the lack of weight in the body.

wip13.jpg

wip14.jpg

I'm also going to extend the bevel in the forearm area into the body a bit. It's too shallow as it sits right now. The pencil line is where it will end up.