Bubinga V

Hey guys. Even though this is my first post, I've been reading through the forums for quite awhile. I posted these pics in another forum, but I only got one reply. The specs of this guitar are:

'58 Flying V body

Custom 3x3 headstock inspired by the KL headstock

24.75 scale length

honduras mahogany 2 piece neck and 2 piece body

bubinga top, control cavity cover, and headstock cap

pao ferro 22 fret fretboard with gaboon ebony binding and no inlays

black hardware

EMG 60/81

Graphtech nut

Here is my progress so far of my build.

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

My inspiration of the headstock came from a Ken Lawrence explorer that was made for James Hetfield of Metallica. This one however has my own twist. to it

IMG_0676.jpg

I'm not sure which wood I'm going to use for the fretboard. The top two is pao ferro and the bottom two is gaboon ebony. One of the ebony has a couple of small knots in it so I might just use it for binding.

IMG_0677.jpg

Here is the wood for the body. Honduran mahogany for both body and neck.

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

The headstock will have a bubinga cap and also the body will have a bubinga top. I'm debating on whether the top should be 1/4" or 3/8". Don't mind the knot there on the side. It should be gone once I lower the headstock thickness around the bubinga cap

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

I still have to resaw the bubinga for the top. I might try Scatter's method I saw him do of using a table saw to cut the sides and use a hand saw to finish the rest.

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure that you have enough room for the tuners on the headstock?

Enough room? You think its too thick or too thin? I'm going to use Sperzel tuners and I have another guitar that has a headstock that is going to be the same thickness that this one will be. It will probably be around 1/2-3/4" thick headstock. The bubinga cap and headstock will be thinner when I finish.

Enough room? You think its too thick or too thin? I'm going to use Sperzel tuners and I have another guitar that has a headstock that is going to be the same thickness that this one will be. It will probably be around 1/2-3/4" thick headstock. The bubinga cap and headstock will be thinner when I finish.

Not referring to the thickness of the headtsock, although you should keep that in check.

I'm referring to the mount of room to line up the tuners along the sides of the headstock. Have you drawn it out to determine whether it will fit?

Edited by guitar2005

Not referring to the thickness of the headtsock, although you should keep that in check.

I'm referring to the mount of room to line up the tuners along the sides of the headstock. Have you drawn it out to determine whether it will fit?

Yeah I should have enough room. If not I'll adjust the sides when I'm fitting the tuners.

Some new pics from today:

I thinned out the headstock to about 1/2" and then carved out the sides where the bubinga isn't on and lowered that part another 1/4"

Here is a contrast from the unfinished on the left and the carved on the right:

IMG_0718.jpg

I thought that the knot would go away but you can see in this pic a little remained. I can fix that later.

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Today, I worked on the top. Its a two piece bubinga top that I had to cut down the middle using a table saw, then handsaw the rest. I then planed it down to about 3/8". In order to stop the middle of the two pieces of bubinga to stop bucking inward, I had to use a block of my Indian rosewood(future neck) to stabilize the joint.

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

I rough cut the bubinga top to shape and test fit it to the body. I also made a bubinga control cavity.

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

I finally figured out how to deal with the knot. I'll just put the input jack there. This way, the jack cover "covers" the knot.

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

Here is the control cavity cover that I made out of left over bubinga from the top.

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

You are going to need more clamps when you plan on gluing that top on. A lot more clamps....

Oh yeah, I know. Those clamps in the pics are homemade spool clamps I made a few weeks ago. I have alot of them and I'm going to make some more this week to glue up the top to the body.

Ok.

You will probably need some pressure in the middle of the body. The easiest way to do that is make a maple spanner bar that has a slight curve in the bottom. Then you clamp it on each side. The curve loads the middle with pressure.

You are going to need more clamps when you plan on gluing that top on. A lot more clamps....

Oh yeah, I know. Those clamps in the pics are homemade spool clamps I made a few weeks ago. I have alot of them and I'm going to make some more this week to glue up the top to the body.

Ok.

You will probably need some pressure in the middle of the body. The easiest way to do that is make a maple spanner bar that has a slight curve in the bottom. Then you clamp it on each side. The curve loads the middle with pressure.

I was thinking about either that or putting some weights in the middle of the body for added pressure.

I was thinking about either that or putting some weights in the middle of the body for added pressure.

IMHO weights do not add enough pressure.... Maybe if you parked the car on it for the afternoon.

Here are a few other articles to read. While they are not he be all end all I will say that they are a good explanation on why 60lbs of sand is probably not enough.

How to Glue-Up Joints: Different Woods Need Different Clamping Pressure - Fine Woodworking

How to Glue-Up Joints: The right number of clamps - Fine Woodworking

How to Glue-Up Joints: Tips on gluing - Fine Woodworking

IMHO weights do not add enough pressure.... Maybe if you parked the car on it for the afternoon.

Here are a few other articles to read. While they are not he be all end all I will say that they are a good explanation on why 60lbs of sand is probably not enough.

How to Glue-Up Joints: Different Woods Need Different Clamping Pressure - Fine Woodworking

How to Glue-Up Joints: The right number of clamps - Fine Woodworking

How to Glue-Up Joints: Tips on gluing - Fine Woodworking

Thanks for the articles. I guess I gotta get some maple boards along with my spool clamps. Do you have any pics of a clamped up guitar for reference?

I always wondered if those spring loaded clamps and the pistol gripped clamps exerted enough pressure. Judging from your builds, I guess they do.

SR

i wouldnt trust them alone, certainly not for a join of this size... and from the pic it doesnt look like RAD would either

I always wondered if those spring loaded clamps and the pistol gripped clamps exerted enough pressure. Judging from your builds, I guess they do.

SR

i wouldnt trust them alone, certainly not for a join of this size... and from the pic it doesnt look like RAD would either

Nah don't trust them...the spring loaded are not good for much. The pistol grips are only good for about 200 pounds of pressure so I put them right next to each other in the spaces between the larger screw clamps. I use them in between the screw clamps. One time I got cute and only used spring clamps on a headstock plate and it had a bad glue line... only did that once :D

I have large screw clamps for most of the pressure. Sometimes I use my vise to put pressure on the butt of the guitar. Screw clamps are as strong as the guy turning the handle so I like them. Unfortunately it is hard to get enough on a body to get even pressure all the way around the edges.

Also you need less pressure on softer wood. On the spalted top big clamps would leave to many marks so I try to spread the force evenly. On something like a bloodwood top I use as many large Screw clamps as I can get on it.

Large C-Clamps are cheap and are a good option for holding the maple bars against the top. I really like the wooden screw clamps though and would spend the money on good ones if I could. (I have some from Harbor Freight and some Jorgensons... no comparison.)

Ultimately I am going to move to vacuum clamps for tops. That is the only real way to get it right.

Today I decided to work on the control cavity since thats the last thing I have to do before I glue the top on. I thought it turned out well. I made my own templates for the cavity. I had to make one for the inner cavity with the portions of wood that the screws go on, as well as the template for the outer cavity.

I used a drill press and largest forsner bit to route the inner portion of the control cavity. Then I used the router for the rest.

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

I put on a layer of glue with a small paint roller and I will let it sit and dry before I put on my walnut veneer.

IMG_0822.jpg