First Build In Ten Years

For a long time I've had the idea of making a Les Paul with no cutaway just to be different

So here’s the Les Paul Copy 1

I am doing a 3-piece neck

3288.jpg

This is my Trussrod jig. I made it so I can go under the fretboard or from the back of the neck like a Strat. I’m doing this one from the back like I have done before

3339.jpg

3345.jpg

3352.jpg

3356.jpg

3371.jpg

3374.jpg

3380.jpg

3381.jpg

3388.jpg

About three years ago I had my eye on a big chunk of Brazilian Mahogany but it was $940 so I said I’ll come back later. I left it too long though and some guy in a yellow Monaro came along and bought up everything over 2 inches thick. So about a year ago I bought a body blank from some place in New Jersey. It was like $120USD but after the exchange rate and all the bank charges I reckon it cost about $400. That big chunk doesn’t seem so expensive now!

So in any case for my first build in about ten years I decided to leave this in the cupboard

Es demasiado caro

3648.jpg

I think the following pics speak for themselves

3438.jpg

3444.jpg

3446.jpg

3451.jpg

3474.jpg

3500.jpg

3501.jpg

3503.jpg

Edited by Crusader

Here it is so far. I am currently working out where I'm going to put my frets...long story

Picture3637.jpg

Is that why you have it strung up - or is that just testing the fit of everything. might be interesting to work out individual fret placement whilst its strung and set-up as you like... it would certainly be interesting to do that and compare the results to some of the other discussions we have had on fret placement.

looking good so far - if a little scorched :D

looking good so far -

Thankyou

Yes I have it strung up for two reasons, one to see if the trussrod works and two, I'm doing the same thing that Kingfisher was doing a while ago. Although I have done this before, place the frets by the tuner

Those frets btw are not properly installed. They have the tang ground off and have just a dab of glue at each end

Its a long slow process but I find it quite interesting. I intend to post up some results later. Like one thing I did was to find out how much a string increases in pitch when you bend it

I play rhythm almost exclusively at church. Something shaped like this wouldn't be completely useless for me. Hmmmmm....
When I had my first Les Paul I complained it was hard to reach the high frets, then someone explained how to pull your thumb around from the back of the neck. Years later I went to see Julian Bream in concert and realised you don't need no cutaway. For a few years all I had was my Washburn accoustic and I've been practicing that method. So compared to the accoustic this should be a breeze to play the high notes

Lookin real good! Looks like you haven't forgotten much in 10 years
Thankyou, yes it pays to make notes and take photos. I've kind of got a library of info

Hey you know people,

I thought someone would have commented on the 4th picture in the 3rd post...any comments?

• 2 weeks later...
About three years ago I had my eye on a big chunk of Brazilian Mahogany but it was $940 so I said I’ll come back later. I left it too long though and some guy in a yellow Monaro came along and bought up everything over 2 inches thick. So about a year ago I bought a body blank from some place in New Jersey. It was like $120USD but after the exchange rate and all the bank charges I reckon it cost about $400. That big chunk doesn’t seem so expensive now!

Yellow Monaro huh

$900 odd bucks wasn't expensive at all, considering it was banned from importation under the CITES agreement at the time! That piece you saw was 80mm, and wide enough to rip two lengths of neck material off the sides, leaving enough for a single piece 350mm wide body. :DB)

That same week, I found a 4 metre length at another supplier, that is wide enough for one piece Explorer and flying V bodies. I think it's 480mm wide?

You can't muck around when "real" Brazilian Mahogany is at stake... hence why I need the horsepower to get me to these sales ultra fast :D

IMG_-035.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi all, have been too busy working but somewhere during the last couple of years I found the time to get a bit more done. I decided to do the cutout. It wasn't easy after shaping the top

http://i587.photobuc...84/IMAG0186.jpg

http://i587.photobuc...84/IMAG0190.jpg

http://i587.photobuc...84/IMAG0192.jpg

http://i587.photobuc...84/IMAG0194.jpg

http://i587.photobuc...84/IMAG0195.jpg

Edited by Crusader