Telecaster Build

Got the templates in today. Of course the neck template is way off from the neck pocket template. Gonna make a template from the neck this time, that way I get a good fit. Didn't want the huge control plate on the front, so I routed it for the back. Then just gonna make a control plate cover for it.

Anyway, here are some pics, I whipped this up in about an hour today.

DSC02618.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

Hey Jesse looks good! Can i ask, Where did u get the templates from? I don't really have time to make some and it would be easier to buy them at this stage.

I got given some alder and a 6mm bookmatched flame maple top, so im thinking of building a Tele cause i cant afford to buy one :D

Your helps appreciated!

Chad.

All mocked up, haven't seen a reverse headstock tele, thought it would be cool to build.

Anyone wanna rout this neck pocket for me? I hate routing them.

DSC02645.jpg

I have tried the guitar building templates site before, I just dont like waiting for 8 weeks. Never got a set from them, got tired of waiting so I cancelled. And I'm not exaggerating on the 8 week comment. 8 weeks and I never got them.

Well, I ran into an unexpected problem. I made my own neck pocket template because the ones that this guy sells are WAY off. And I made the template around my current neck, and during my test fit, it fit dead on perfect, I could hold the neck up with the template. So I rout my neck pocket, and it's off by a little, has very small gaps on all sides. Especially the bottom. Nothing that I can't fill in with some sanding dust and glue, but it bugs me nonetheless.

Also, my neck heel is proud of the body by about 1/16" as you can see, is that too proud of the body for a standard tele bridge?

DSC02648.jpg

DSC02649.jpg

DSC02653.jpg

Okay, good on the neck heel then. I would rather have it a little low than a little high, I can adjust the action more that way.

And it's straight, they're just small gaps. And I am **** about everything lol. I am setting the neck instead of a bolt on, so I just like for everything to be flush.

Here it is altogether for right now, just waiting on the bridge to finalize and set it.

DSC02656.jpg

Okay, good on the neck heel then. I would rather have it a little low than a little high, I can adjust the action more that way.

And it's straight, they're just small gaps. And I am **** about everything lol. I am setting the neck instead of a bolt on, so I just like for everything to be flush.

Well... the problem is that if you're too low, you may not be able to get the action at a comfortable level (low enough).

do you know what the lowest saddle height is on your bridge? If its 5/16", you should be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to route my pickup cavity today and make sure my scale length was right. Looks like I got it. 25.5" exactly. Plus this thing has extra long screws to help with intonation.

DSC02680.jpg

DSC02673.jpg

DSC02676.jpg

Decided to use some franklin's hide glue to set my neck. I have heard not to use this stuff, but I wanted to see how well it would truly hold up, so if you're searching the forum for hide glue and see that this has failed, don't use it! If not, then use away!

DSC02677.jpg

I did a **** ton of finish sanding today, then went out and wiped it down with naptha to clean out all the pores, got a couple of good pics of what it will look like when I get some finish on it. Will tru-oil give me a super glossy finish?

DSC02729.jpg

DSC02732.jpg

I do have a couple of spots I just cant get to come out, any suggestions? Or will some pore filler cover this up?

DSC02734.jpg

DSC02735.jpg

DSC02736.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got it fretted, beveled, leveled, crowned and polished, carved the neck, adjusted the neck, shaped and slotted the nut and got the height I wanted, checked the action height, and am now just waiting on the tru-oil before I break it all down and finish it out. Didn't tighten the tuners all the way down because I'm just going to take them right off anyway.

If anyone was wondering about the franklin hide glue, it held the string tension without a hitch, but my bottle was pretty fresh, I have read after it's a year old it isn't worth using anymore.

DSC02797.jpg

DSC02798.jpg

DSC02799.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I missed it on the first page, but what is the fretboard material? It looks great, by the way.