5 String Fretless Competition Build

Simo

I definitely try to take my time, I've learned the hard way that rushing or losing concentration leads to guitar shaped firewood :D

I try to keep my work as neat as possible, although not because it makes a good photo, there's always a practical reason why I do something.. for example, I square off the edges of the headstock after the veneers have been glued on, as it means I can place my set square against the edge when marking out the centre line, etc and know that it's parallel.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maby its just me, but your piks give the impression that your shop is an environment of absolute serene tranquility, So clean, so bright & so pristine. very relaxing.

Not like the mindless swamp of khaos mine seems to turn into every day :D

Still. Luv your builds, this one is turning out realy well

Maby its just me, but your piks give the impression that your shop is an environment of absolute serene tranquility, So clean, so bright & so pristine. very relaxing.

Not like the mindless swamp of khaos mine seems to turn into every day :D

If only :D

Someone needs to figure out how to put a bearing on the spindle to create a pattern following spindle sander...or has that been done?

Yep, the Robo-Sander.. http://www.luthiersfriend.com/robosander/robosander.html

Some more progress.. the neck ferrules and inserts have been drilled and fitted and I've routed the heel with a cove bit, ready to begin neck shaping tomorrow.

IMG_8178.jpg

IMG_8229.jpg

I'm assuming the fret lines are maple veneer. Are you trimming out roughly fret sized pieces and sliding them into the slot and then trimming them flush or do you have some other method of doing that? Are you using a spot of glue or more....or none?

It looks awesome of course. I love the way ziricote looks, but haven't had the pleasure of working any yet.

SR

I'm assuming the fret lines are maple veneer. Are you trimming out roughly fret sized pieces and sliding them into the slot and then trimming them flush or do you have some other method of doing that? Are you using a spot of glue or more....or none?

I use strips of Maple purfling (which is .020'' thick, so it fits the fret slots perfectly), they're glued in with superglue. Once the glue is dry, I snip the ends off using fret cutters and then sand everything flush.

Is that a shinto rasp? How do you like that for carving necks? The build is looking sweet.

Is that a shinto rasp? How do you like that for carving necks? The build is looking sweet.

Yep, that's a Shinto rasp. I couldn't recommend them enough.. I use it for all my neck shaping, body contours, etc. They're reasonably cheap, they stay sharp and they cut very fast, without clogging.

i treat myself to a new shinto rasp every so often

the first one i had is properly dead, blunt and gone. but i still have a couple that can still carve your average mahogany or maple neck with relative ease and one that a lot newer and sharper for the harder woods

the first one i had is properly dead, blunt and gone. but i still have a couple that can still carve your average mahogany or maple neck with relative ease and one that a lot newer and sharper for the harder woods

Where did you get them ? Heard about these things but never actually tried one.

Where did you get them ? Heard about these things but never actually tried one.

Japan Woodworker is one place. Rockler, Amazon, Woodcraft are some others... not sure who is the best international supplier though.

I use mine for necks.