Yay! New Build

Were it not for the binding, a simple black burst around the edges would be pretty classy. Think in the lines of a Firebird.

or an original 1975 iceman (actually called artist 2663 till 1977ish)

(try another pic)

iceman+4.JPG

The tailpiece ties up the huge amount of real estate to the rear of the instrument nicely (PS. image not displayed as it is hotlinked) in the 75 Iceman. Are you thinking of continuing the colour through to the back of the neck also? The Maple looks hella stark at the moment. I love the look of Iceman basses too, but I'm a complete sucker for offset body shapes like Explorers, Thunderbirds, etc!

nah - this isnt getting the burst - as much as i do like the idea

The neck will be stripped of its current finish, headstock veneered or sprayed in something dark - the rest of the maple will get a bit more of a tint than it currently has to warm it up a bit. Body will get a rosewood (more red mahogany then rosewood) stain on top only - then the whole body will be tru-oiled and waxed

still not sure about the humbucker/single coil layout - looked better in my head, but i am wondering if I can improve matters with a middle pickup or some kind of scratchplate. or just get it finished and decide on that later

I like the idea of a leading single coil, but angled with the treble end further towards the neck with a corresponding slant on the end of the fingerboard. Mostly for aesthetic reasons. That is likely because the "progressive" or "heavy" shaped instruments are commonly associated with humbuckers and the juxtaposition tickles me. But hey.

I like the huge t/p, but not a lone s/c in the neck. We've seen with mine that a p/g can look pretty good on it, but not with the huge t/p.

Ya know... it might be because there's so much space between the pups. I've never really liked a h/s combo, but I always see them without a p/g. Care to do a black-paper mock-up? If you DO do for a p/g, white pearl/b/w would look pretty classy.

EDIT: Never mind about the p/g. You already have the controls drilled.

Edited by avengers63

doesnt have to go down to the controls though - it wouldnt be as big as yours, which does work great with the shape but isnt the look i am going for

i was actually considering how a bit of tort would look with this combo

I like the huge t/p, but not a lone s/c in the neck. We've seen with mine that a p/g can look pretty good on it, but not with the huge t/p.

Ya know... it might be because there's so much space between the pups. I've never really liked a h/s combo, but I always see them without a p/g. Care to do a black-paper mock-up? If you DO do for a p/g, white pearl/b/w would look pretty classy.

EDIT: Never mind about the p/g. You already have the controls drilled.

*** on PC, TP ja BW? Minä täytyy ymmärtää sinun slangi....

i love it when a plan comes together!

Brought some of these just for the covers!:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neck-Bridge-Classic-humbucker-pickups-8-6k-P7_W0QQitemZ140341085828QQcategoryZ22670QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8079325391113030907#ht_500wt_922

when put on black open coil pickups they look pretty much like the early ibanez ones!!

zebra is good - but i think this is better!

Looks like you're taking a page from Not You's book. You should probably booger up the control cover a bit to carry the theme.

SR

i dont know if messing it up more is the answer - unless i get a black one to distress. tbh i quite like the mix of hardware colour & condition

A toggle rerouting the tone control's treble cut from the "master" cut and running it into the midpoint of the pickup coils to create a semi coil taps?

Just not a killswitch, please!

hmm, maybe a killswitch :D

at the moment the 3rd pot is actually an active boost circuit, but i am not sure i like it yet so it may get replaced with a normal tone control and then i could have a toggle for cap selection like this

capswtchCEK.gif

TwoCapSwitch20090109.jpg

from here:

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=modules&action=display&thread=3883

thats the point though - they are obvious choices i have done many many times before, and i like to try new things :D

p-ups are 4 wire - tbh i was considering those SD tripleshot rings to give me the usual options and just wanted something different for this extra body control

i can always go back to the normal stuff if whatever i try doesnt work like i want

been strung up for a few days before i decide what to do with the extra control hole

Direct switch..takes the guitar and runs the signal around the pots and directly to the jack for a brighter,"hotter" tone if you need it...it can also be used as a killswitch if you roll the volume off and use it direct..then flipping the switch kills all sound.

My Edwards Forest GT has this,and it is more useful and cooler than I thought it would be